Over 60% of adults and nearly a third of children in the UK are overweight or obese. Obesity increases the risk of developing diabetes, heart disease and cancer and has an impact on people’s well-being and quality of life.
Weight Concern is a registered charity, set up in 1997 to support the psychological and physical needs of overweight people. We have shown how dieticians, exercise specialists and psychologists can collaborate together to help people make lifestyle changes.
Our aims include:
- Developing and researching new treatments for obesity
- Increasing public knowledge about the causes, consequences and treatment of weight problems
- Improving access to weight management information and programmes for different patient groups (for example those from different cultural backgrounds or those with learning disabilities)
- Providing education and training for health professionals in the care of overweight patients
- Engaging with the public on weight-related issues
For more information about Weight Concern, please see our website www.weightconcern.org.uk.