My other half surprised me this morning. He told me that he wanted to write today’s blog for me! I suppose you could look at it as an insight…so here goes…
I’m WLB’s other half!
WLB has invited me to do some guest blog posts about my experiences of living with someone who is trying to lose over 32st. First of all I would like to say a huge thanks to all of you are read the blog. Your support means a lot to us! [WLB says that she didn’t ‘invite’ me, I just suggested it!]
As you will all know WLB has been trying to lose weight since she was 15. I met her when she was 20 and the last 12 years have been a real struggle trying to help her to get her to where she wants to be.
This time around is different though! She has done so well losing nearly 17.5st and I’m immensely proud of her acheivements so far.
Here are the awesome things I have noticed change in WLB since she first rejoined Slimming World and has lost all this weight.
– It broke my heart to see WLB not being able to walk a few yards without having to sit down. It would look like she had ran a marathon. Nowadays we go to the gym 6 days a week and the difference is amazing. I work from home and she encouraged us to both join the gym. It is making a massive difference to both of us. I’m a trim 12st 8lbs so it’s not just about weightloss but is about the feel good factor exercise brings. WLB’s fitness is getting miles better and I struggle to keep up with her!
– Her mindset has completely changed. In the past she struggled to stay on the Slimming World plan for a day let alone a week. What we truly believe now is that Slimming World is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I think the reason people fail to lose weight or regain weight is that they can’t sustain their eating habits longterm. Humans are not designed to eat proccessed crappy food and that’s the number 1 thing WLB has got her head around. She has written a fair bit about me eating my 4 kit kat chunky’s a day and since joining the gym I’m starting to eat far better than before and have really enjoyed eating some of the meals from Slimming World.
– WLB’s confidence is far higher. Last week she did a presenation at some local Slimming World groups. When joining Slimming World again for the umpteenth time I had to go with her to act as her support blanket. She used to have to wait until the end to get weighed as she couldn’t stand up for long and wait in line to be weighed. Back in October through losing the weight we went for a gorgeous walk up a very steep hill in Scotland. I was so proud of her. The previous year she spent the majority of our holiday in the car whilst I went off exploring. Our quality of life is drasticly improving as a result of her weightloss.
– Our wedding day is actually within sight. We kind of never thought about getting married due to WLB not being able to get into the dress of her dreams. We have not set a date just yet but I can see it happening just after WLB gets to target. You are all invited!
– WLB is a very intelligent lady and for years I have said to her that if she manages to lose her weight she could help inspire others to do the same. I’ve been thrilled with all the emails WLB gets from her readers who have felt inspired by her. It makes me so proud of her and if she can help people and make a difference we will both be really happy!
The change in her has been truly remarkable and I know in my heart of hearts that she will get to her target weight. Something is very different this time around.
I have never had a weight problem but kind of appreciate how difficult it is for people to lose weight. In the past I have tried to do Slimming World for a week to get an insight into how hard it is to stick to healthy eating and failed miserably. Over the last few months I’m eating a lot better and for this week I’m going to try and stick to the Slimming World plan to try and get an understanding into making a change into healthy eating.
So watch this space. I’m going to keep a diary as a non Slimming World member attempting the plan for a week and I will give my thoughts on how I find it. Day 1 breakfast was good. I like to start the day with slow release energy foods so have opted to use most of my syns to help kickstart the day. My only little worry is that I will start craving snack foods later on in the day and I won’t have any syns to spend – so breakfast was Onken apple and mango yogurt, two chopped bananas, a sachet of oats and a handful of mixed seeds. I didn’t really count my syns though, I think the yogurt was 4 syns as I had half a pot, the oats are 5 syn according to WLB and the seeds I think were 6 syns. Lunch was 2 wholemeal pittas with cheese and spinach and scrambled eggs. I have been told that this is 2 HEBs and 1 HEA. This is harder than I thought. Dinner was tandoori chicken with rice and salad, the rice had 3 syns and I also had more cheese, another HEA, and the two pittas that were left…12 syns for these. WLB has told me that this means I have mixed my days – so Extra Easy instead of Green or Original – and that two of the Healthy Extras I have had need to be synned now, which means another 12 syns. I also had two Nakd bars, the chocolate orange one and the cashew cookie one, which is 14.5 syns. A total of 56.5 syns. Not a great start. Weird though as it all felt quite healthy compared to what I used to eat. I can see how healthy doesn’t equal good for Slimming World. It’s a lot harder than it looks!
Anyway enough of my ramblings and I’ll hand you back over to WLB. Check back tomorrow where tomorrow hopefully I’ll get back on plan. This is one of the things WLB used to tell me! I’ll be back on it tomorrow. I could actually eat some junk food now, but I’m not going to as there is no point in upping the syns further just for the sake of it.
So then…a little insight for you from my other half – isn’t he lovely?! I can tell this is going to be a long week…he has asked me dozens of questions regarding syns today.
Today has been good. I had a good chat with a lovely woman this morning, did some work, headed to the gym, went to the shops, came home and prepared my food, watched some more Breaking Bad – my new addiction, and then got ready for my evening out. My evening out consisted of me chatting to two Slimming World groups! Their consultant was at my talks a couple of weeks ago and wanted me to come and see her members too – so I did. It feels incredibly strange to share my story face to face, and it feels weird to be talking to people who are smaller than I am now about my weight loss! I was also halfway through my ‘work’ speech…about how life went a bit crazy when I was bullied etc, when I noticed a familiar face…only a lady who worked as a consultant to the HR Director (and still does!)…I don’t mention company names but she knew who I was and we chatted afterwards about it! Such lovey people – the class, not my old boss and her boss (he was a dick too!) – the people in the groups I met…I always feel inspired by everyone there who are trying to make positive changes; it keeps me going. I then headed home to relax before bed. It is my weigh in tomorrow…I have no idea what to expect given the past few weeks of major effort for not so major results…we shall see whether it’s a happy face or a tantrum!
Breakfast: Total Greek with oats and banana (5 syns).
My food has been lovely today! Brekkie was designed to use up some of yogurt – so I just stirred my oats in and sliced the banana…it was really tasty and set me up well for the gym. Lunch was kind of dinner due to me being out this evening. I used some leftover roast chicken and added green beans, spinach, tomatoes, red onion, green pepper, button mushrooms and Thai paste. Once that was all cooked, I stirred through a muller coconut yogurt. I must say though that I think I am going to have to start using fresh coconut or coconut milk as I am finding sweetened yogurts too sweet now as my tastes for sweet stuff have changed dramatically. Dinner I prepared and took with me – the smoked turkey rashers with spinach and tomatoes in wholemeal rolls. My snacks were enjoyed when I got back from my talks.
Exercise: 30 minutes on the elliptical machine and 45 minutes of weights.
Thank you for reading,
Weight Loss Bitch xxx