which test is best?

If you have had allergy tests or want to find out about the types of tests available ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
wentworth

by wentworth on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:11 pm

which test is best?

Hi

I've recentley begun to have allergic reactions to food and was sent to an allergy clinic where they did a blood test to check for mushrooms, soya and lupin. I've been told that I have to wait for my next appt for the results in 3 months time unless they find anything dramatic.
Is this the best way to test or is the skin prick test better?

Many thanks

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: which test is best?

Dear wentworth,

It is actually very hard to find lupin in this country as the Anaphylaxis Campaign helped to prevent it being used as a bakery flour due to it's know allergenicity. Mushroom can be skin prick tested to but you would need to bring the mushroom so they can use this directly to skin prick test. Soya is easy to skin prick test to.

However the most important part of allergic diagnosis is the history taken from a clinician who is able to take an allergy focussed history (see NICE Guideline on Food Allergy). If the skin prick test or allergy blood test (specific IgE) are taken in conjunction with a good allergy history then both are good tests for immediate allergic reactions.

Kind regards,
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

wentworth

by wentworth on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: which test is best?

Thank you for your reply

3 posts