Recurring Anxiety

If you are stressed or suffering from anxiety, please ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
G80

by G80 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Recurring Anxiety

Hi,

I've been having recurring periods of heightened anxiety and anxiety attacks for around 5-6 years and I'm trying to find a more complete approach to dealing with these so they are not such a big influence on my life, and my familys life.

In the past my doctor's surgery have prescribed 20mg citalopram (sometimes combined with risperidone) which, as advised, I have taken for a min of 6-9 months at a time. But having missed the birth of my daughter due to anxiety I have been taking 20mg citalopram consistently for the last 18months. I have also refered myself to 'talking therapies' who have helped me to get my anxiety levels back on track several times.

What i'm finding is that my doctor has one approach and Talking Therapies another, but they don't seem to join up. My doctors approach to my anxiety is purely to vary the strength of my medication. I've just been changed to 20mg of Paroxetine and told to try that for a few months to see if that works better than citalopram. Again I have self refered to Talking Therapies to get some help psychologically. This now feels like i'm going around in circles, talking to the therapist and seeing my doctor seperately and I'm starting to get frustrated with the process. Are there any alternative approaches whereby these can be combined to provide help and support which is more rounded and complimentary?

I appreciate that the above is in no way an in depth description, but i'd appreciate a nudge in another direction. I'd like to think there's a more complete approach to anxiety than just muddling by.

Thanks.

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Recurring Anxiety

the treatment for generalized anxiey is a combination of talking therapy (mostly CBT which if you havent had, thats what I'd advise you seek this time) and drug treatment. Your Gp has tried appropriate drugs and it can take time to find the right drug for you and the right dose. If your GP gets stuck with this process, she or he will refer you for help from a psychiatrist I expect The drug treatment and therapy is almost invariably going to be undertaken by different people who should communicate with one another, Ideally.
Dr Jackson
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

2 posts