Hello! I'm new and have a puzzling condition...

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
Panoply76

by Panoply76 on Fri May 03, 2013 3:12 am

Hello! I'm new and have a puzzling condition...

Hello You All,

I am Panoply, 36yo and male. I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what's going on with me. I've seen 2 dermatologists and they can't seem to do anything.
For years now I have had this condition on my fingers (mostly-90%) and hands. What it is like is this. The skin gets hard and a bit pink. It then forms up fairly think and very hard and often cracks open creating a painful, slice like wound. It is NOT seasonal, and while washing my hands/gtting them wet exacerbates the problem, it is not at all the cause. I have switched to Cetaphil for handwashing and this has not had any affect. I have used countless lotions, including prescription hydrocortisone creams, and while they certainly help they have never banished it entirely. I do not have it constantly, but do most of the time. Sometimes mild, sometimes incredibly bad (like now). It is very painful to use my hands as they are all quite cut up and sore. My dermaatologist could not make heads or tails of it after repeated visits over a period of years, and neaither did a 'second opinion' doc I went to see. The best the original doctor could come up with was just 'eczema' or 'stress excema' which both sound like cop outs. I have tried to note a correlation to it and my mental state but my record keeping is pretty poor on that subject - I do feel that stress & depression make it worse, but once again do not cause it.
Anyone know what this might be, and more importantly how to deal with it? I am at wit's end!

Thanks,
Pano

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri May 03, 2013 5:59 am

Re: Hello! I'm new and have a puzzling condition...

Hi Panoply,

Haven't come across this and so sorry about the flare-up now.

Have you tried moisturizing, followed by glove? I know Tubifast has gloves for adults.. hand eczema. Give it a go?

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Panoply76

by Panoply76 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:51 pm

I've worn examination gloves on my hands overnight after liberally applying different lotions. This does help, especially Rx hydrocortisone, but never banishes it entirely.

Seriously, no one has heard of or experienced this?

Thanks,
Pano

Miss Kitty Fantastico

by Miss Kitty Fantastico on Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi Pano,

I think I know what is wrong. I obvisouly can't diagnose or offer treatment advice over the internet but I can point you in a specific direction to do more of your own research.

It sort of sounds like you've experienced tachyphylaxis to your Hydrocortisone i.e. the drug has stopped working for you. this is where steroid-induced eczema starts to come in.

I would advise doing a search for 'topical steroid addiction' and doing as much reading as you can on the subject. Dermatologists aren't too hot on this one for obvious reasons.

Get in touch if you feel that I might be able to help further.

Much love xxx

4 posts