Sudden onset adult eczema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

6 posts
EFranck25

by EFranck25 on Thu May 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Sudden onset adult eczema

Hi,

Looking for any pearls of wisdom or similar stories.

I had moderate eczema as a child and then was almost entirely clear as an older child and teenager, with the occasional patch.

Suddenly 2 years ago I got really itchy wrists after a long hot bubble bath, presumably an irritation caused by heat, prolonged water exposure and chemicals within the bubble bath. This tended to flare up and down the following 18 months with moisture being a particular trigger.

About 12 months in I developed the most incredibly itchy back however the skin wasn't too badly damaged, but I basically turned into a bear and was rubbing up against anything to relieve the itch. It would give me goose pimples and making my body contort. This was combined with swollen lymphnodes under my chin and armpits. The doctor prescribed emollient and diagnosed eczema.

At Christmas I then developed really dry along on my face in conjunction with swollen lymphnodes again and some mild swelling of the face. It also became very patchy and red with no particular triggers other then the cold uk winter months. Again I carried on with my emollients and avoided harsh chemicals and cosmetics.

About 3 months ago I developed the worst eczema I've ever had, I have been reduced to 2-3 hours sleep a night. Consequently my confidence has hit rock bottom and I've pretty much become a hermit, not being able to wear my nice clothes and makeup for fear or irritation. Another trip to the doctors and a diagnosis of adult allergy combined with raised white blood cell count. I can't think of anything I'm allergic too though, I've not changed my lifestyle at all and haven't noticed any particular triggers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm keen to get my life back on track.

Esther

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri May 15, 2015 5:03 am

Re: Sudden onset adult eczema

Hi Esther,

Did the allergy test yield any positive results? And from there, you can avoid those as a starting point to manage the allergy and eczema?

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

EFranck25

by EFranck25 on Fri May 15, 2015 8:01 am

Hi Mei,

Unfortunately the current wait for an allergy test is 6 months, so I'm patiently waiting on the list but considering going private. I can't think of anything that is triggering it, I don't think it's contact dermatitis as I'm pretty much entirely covered from my face to my knees.

Do you have any tips for self diagnosing, I've heard people mention the elimination diet but there's mixed guidance online.

Esther

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Sun May 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Oh dear, sorry to hear that the wait would be so long for an allergy test. I'm not sure how the body reacts to the 'harmful' hot bubble bath and why a supposed contact dermatitis ended up getting so serious.. could be your skin barrier is already defective. My eczema kid loves the idea of bubble bath but we've never let her try one.. every time we read the ingredients, it's quite full of irritants..

I'm not sure if a diet will work since it doesn't appear to be the cause, may end up stressing yourself out for nothing. I wonder if it's the damaged skin that gets more vulnerable to allergens like dust mites. May want to change bedsheets/pillow/ mattress if you haven't done so for some time and wash in 60 deg C water. Wet wrap at night? Can help repair the skin and keep it moisturized throughout the night. Not sure if you also ought to take some measures to reduce staph bacteria on the skin.. common measures are wiping the skin with chlorhexidine, swimming (but not if chlorine is going to irritate your skin) or a shower lotion containing chlorhexidine..

Pollen? Wear long sleeve and keep windows close.

Not sure how to help.. just throwing up ideas, take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator

Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

zingthing

by zingthing on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:10 am

Hi Esther,

I feel you. I have eczema on my face since last winter and has now spreaded to my arms, shoulders, neck and chest a month back (summer now). I am still in bewilderment about what happened and have recently accepted that I do have eczema (never had when I was younger) and I, too, feel that my life has been negatively affected - my esteem took a plunge, I no longer wear sleeveless clothes (which I love so much), I don't wear make-up, and worst thing is, I need to go out with a red patchy face. I enjoy travelling and had since fear tavelling because i'll get a flare-up every time I travel out. I pretty much stay home most of the time because that is when my skin behaves best. It is very frustrating because the inflammation visits anytime it wants to, without warning. I hate eating out now because I have also developed an allergy to seafood and any tiny bit (e.g. sneaky shrimps used for miso soup) would result in a terrible flare-up.

Do you use any medication? I used hydrocortisone but it is no longer effective for me. I used protopic in Mar/Apr and it healed until I took alcohol and lobster one fateful day in May.. and the eczema on my face never healed since. I have not reapplied protopic since because of all the side effects I read online (skin cancer being one of them) and is now depending on food therapy to heal myself.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:44 am

Hi!

There's a recent study that analyses data over the past 10 years and there's no data that shows there's increased cancer risk from using Protopic. Hope your skin improve, take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator

6 posts