Emotional Strategies for Coping with Eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
Julia

by Julia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Emotional Strategies for Coping with Eczema

So, does anyone have any startegies for coping with chronic adult eczema.

I pretty much suck at this. When I have a flare I get angry and sad and just want to hide in the house applying emollients and not seeing anyone.

I totally need a better way of accepting and coping. If anyone knows of any techniques / books then that'd be great.

Thanks

JoshAinsworth96

by JoshAinsworth96 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: Emotional Strategies for Coping with Eczema

Hey Julia,

I'm josh, being male and 18 with eczema all over and rating hormones has resulted in several dented doors and walls haha,

Whilst I'm terrible at "coping" I do try writing down positive things about how you look (eczema aside)

Talking to someone in similar circumstances who can sympathise also helps

Josh

nyssabird

by nyssabird on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:24 am

Hey people,
I'm also having a terrible time dealing with emotions related to looking like an inflamed baboon's butt! I know that stress is probably one of the least helpful things for a condition like ours, but I just can't seem to stop myself from feeling depressed and trapped when out in public. Having people constantly comment or stare gets old and frustrating--being 21 and a full time student and a part-time employee at a retail store I feel like i'm constantly in the public eye being judged. It's hard to want to get out of bed in the morning when I know what i'll have to face when I look in the mirror.
I feel ya'll. This blows.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:56 am

I'm a mom of eczema kid, but with no eczema myself - so direct experience but from the support group I facilitate and what other bloggers share on my eczema blog, the appearance part of eczema can really take a toll. One parent remarked his son rarely stand/walk straight.. Joining a support group, getting a good doctor/treatment and seeing skin improvements may help, don't neglect exercise and a good diet, these boost confidence and immunity, eczema/not :)

Hugs,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

4 posts