One very dry patch of scalp

Ask our experts your questions about health issues with the under 5's including developmental issues, behavioural problems, common childhood diseases, feeding, oral health, sleeping, immunisation, toilet training etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
avallance

by avallance on Sun May 19, 2013 1:21 pm

One very dry patch of scalp

My daughter is 2 1/2. She has one patch of very dry skin on her head. I have tried conditioner and we use a baby shampoo. We have checked for head lice. It isn't making her scratch but it is making brushing her hair impossible as the flakes get caught. I noticed this morning that her hair was also coming out more than normal. Thanks

karenacoyle

by karenacoyle on Thu May 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Re: One very dry patch of scalp

Hello Avallance

Thank you for posting on the children's health clinic.

You are concerned that your child has a persistent dry patch on her scalp which has not been helped by using a conditioner or baby shampoo.
You are also concerned that on the day of posting her hair seemed to be coming out more than usual.

Given its persistence, and because you suspect that the hair may be falling out, I would suggest that you get it checked out by your GP, to rule out a fungal infection or other condition such as eczema or psoriasis.

You may also wish to consider speaking to your local pharmacist who may recommend a suitable home treatment or alternatively ask your health visitor or nurse practitioner to check it out at your local child health clinic.

I hope this helps.
Best wishes
Briege Coyle
Netmums’ Health Visitor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _coyle.php

2 posts