Leaking

Ask our experts your questions about bladder problems including, continence, weak pelvic floor, overactive bladders or any other bladder related issues.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Sarah12

by Sarah12 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Leaking

Hi,
I had a lot of bladder infections/cystitis and was a bit leaky so I was sent to a urologist.I had a cystoscopy under GA. I was also to have a urodynamic test but it was never ordered. My bladder looked okay so I was sent home fromthe hospital with a prescription for an antibiotic for three months given to me by the nurse. Saw no doctor and there was no follow up appointment.I got a letter telling me to pee after sex and take cranberry tablets. The antibiotics were good but within a day of stopping them the cystitis sensation was back.
I have episodes of it on and off but I can manage.However I still problems with leaking. I have to wear a tena pad as with a regular liner I end up smelling of pee. I leak when I cough. If I don't get to the loo first thing when I wake up I will start to go and have no control over it. I don't know if I am just weak down below as I can't keep a tampon in either. I have lost weight and hoped that would help. I have not had kids and am not sexually active. I know it was probably put down to sex as I am in my early thirties. I found that embarrassing if it was not embarrassing enough but I don't want to wear pads forever either.What can I do?.

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:02 am

Re: Leaking

Sarah
sorry to hear of your problems. It is not due to sex.
this can just develop in some people.
Sounds like you do need urodynamic testing as you may have overactive bladder
this can be linked to recurrent infections
Cut down on coffee/tea/alcohol and fizzy drinks
Drink water, squash and fruit juice
you may benefit from an anticholinergic tablet such as solifenacin or detrositol- both very safe and counteract urinary frequency, urgency and urge incontinence.

Were the infections proven on a mid stream urine sample?
Get back in to the urologist you were seeing or go to one with a special interest in functional urology.
Ben
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

Sarah12

by Sarah12 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Re: Leaking

Thanks for your reply. I completely avoid soft drinks and caffeine. I am trying to drink more water duting the day also. I had infection in a sample, nothing showed sometimes and a coiple of tomes unexplained blood.Going to talk to my GP to get a new referral. Thanka again.

3 posts