Itching at night

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
jake3838

by jake3838 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:39 am

Itching at night

Hi all, I have had eczema all of my life and in the last few years it has began to improve. Mainly due to trying out different moisturisers such as diprobase, calendula, doublebase, qv, aquamol, balneum plus, weleda cream, and many others.

And since around 2011 i've became aware that eating sugary foods causes me to itch more. Through control I only itch alone when I am conscious and luckily, have gradually got better at controlling it. To the point now where any itching which causes me more significant eczema only occurs during the night.

During my sleep I often itch my face and only my face :( , and quite badly sometimes. This generally only happens when I haven't been quite strict enough with myself about not eating or drinking some sugary things at least 5 hours before going to bed.
The solution is obvious, just moderate my sugar consumption more. Well that I continue to try my best at.

Furthermore, I open this question to anybody. Has anybody known of something that can go over your fingers/nails for sleeping or during the day so that you physically cannot cause deep scratches to your skin?

I have only ever used socks over my hands in the past. They work, but i've found I scratch through these and they aren't overly effective. So i'm considering making something to go over my fingers for sleeping, probably out of plastic.

Thanks for reading :)

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:12 am

Re: Itching at night

Thanks for sharing! Scratching at night is sometimes linked to lack of activity, thus being more conscious of the itch. Also body temperatures increases at night, and this triggered more itch for some. The impact of diet to eczema is one of association, no direct causal study yet, but always good thing to reduce sugar!

Keep us updated, take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

sunny81

by sunny81 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Re: Itching at night

Night itching has always been the worst! During the day you can keep yourself busy but as marcies mum said, at night your idle hands scratch.

What i have found particularly useful is when im aware im scratching at night in bed, ill sit up and do some deep breathing exercises to relax me, meditate for a while and this works very well. Infact i may start a thread on this soon.
Sunny81

3 posts