Eczema - Is it my pet?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
charlie228

by charlie228 on Mon May 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Eczema - Is it my pet?

Hello all --
I'm trying to figure out what could be causing my eczema and I'm hoping to find some answers.

I always had a few eczema spots but never anything widespread. Always hay fever but nothing worse.

I started getting blepharitis in June 2013 - which coincides with a time when I was visiting a dog at a puppy store (which I eventually bought) and a stressful period in life for other reasons.

I bought the dog and continued to deal with stresses which I have finally gotten to a manageable level. My body started to get eczema and eventually a lot of my face (eyes, above lip, forehead, sideburns/cheek bone).

I have tried separating from my dog and whenever I actually discontinue the medicine I use (Elidel), the eczema on my face comes raging back although my itchy body appears to improve.

Also I want to note that I had tinea versicolor on my ribs that were there for years until a doctor gave me ketaconazole which improved it significantly.

My allergies are vast but do include pets (I have never had issues around dogs until this one possibly) as well as mercury.

I separated from my dog for 1 week. During that week, I continued using my medicines for 4 days but slowly weaned off. While still on the medicine, my skin did get significantly better, to a point it had never gotten.

However, once I was completely off of the medicines the eczema came raging back - first to my face, then the rest of my body.

I'm curious if this explains anything in terms of it being the dog, if I need to give myself more than a week, or if it means the dog is not the culprit.

Any help appreciated if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue May 27, 2014 4:06 am

Re: Eczema - Is it my pet?

Sorry to hear.. It's always best to avoid what you've been tested positive to. So if dog dander is on your positive list, then avoiding is best. Maybe can work out ways where the pet doesn't come into your bedroom and you shower your dog outdoors. Dog dander is heavier than cat's, so tend not to travel as far.

Not a pet person, so don't have specific living with dog tips to share, hope it'd work out at your end, take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

2 posts