Out of Resources

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
emma91182

by emma91182 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Out of Resources

Hi, my name is Emma and I'm 22, I have suffered with eczema primarily on my hands, with the occasional flare up around my mouth, all my life. It has become worse in the past 4 to 5 years. I feel have exhausted every option the GP's can think of, so I thought I would ask other people for some advice on what has worked for them.

The eczema on my hands becomes extremely cracked and sore, with blister that are incredibly itchy. It's red and bleeding and it becomes very difficult to move my hands, which does affects my daily life, (And I am currently taking time off work to help them heal better).

I have seen many different GP's from different surgeries, I have seen a few dermatologists at hospitals, and I have had allergy tests, (which determined my allergy to practically everything; dairy, eggs, cats etc), and I've had blood tests.

I did find one cream that worked for a certain length of time, which was called Protopic. This cleared everything up. But after a few months my eczema flared up again and the Protopic didn't seem to clear it up this time.

The next step my doctor suggested was to begin a medicine called cyclosporin or azathioprine.

Does anybody know anything about these medicines?

I would be really grateful if anyone can provide any helpful insights on how to manage a flare up?

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:02 am

Re: Out of Resources

Hi there,

So sorry to hear that you had to take a break from your work as the eczema is so bad.. hugs!

On cyclosporine, I've previously read up on it:
Cyclosporine is an immunosuppressant, and slows down the immune system (thus frequently prescribe to prevent organ rejection after a transplant). It is registered in certain countries to treat skin conditions – psoriasis and atopic dermatitis (eczema). It may be prescribed for those with severe eczema that has not responded to other treatments for prolonged period. Cyclosporine works by reducing inflammation on the skin, through its effect on immune cells (lymphocytes). It is taken orally, and patient needs to follow the prescription carefully and take the medication at same time. The dosage prescribed will be determined by the doctor, usually for skin-related, it will be a low dosage, and dosage may vary during the course. It is important to follow-through with the prescription, and not terminate it once you self-assessed your condition has improved.
More in this post http://eczemablues.com/2013/05/eczema-m ... losporine/

I do think that if you're going to try cyclosporine, you will want to do that with a doctor you trust. The key is seeing a doctor who is experienced and able to manage your dosage properly and monitor the results. From what I've read, not all will be successful, so there's a chance you'd be taking a drug with side effects without getting better. Having said that, the rationale is that you have not responded to topical treatments and given that one cannot be constantly applying topical cream which also has side effects, the alternative treatment is then to use immunosuppressant.

My own guess is to ensure that you have already done all that you can - allergy test and avoiding them strictly (because even a drop can trigger allergic reaction), wet wrap, moisturize (and ensure you're using a moisturizer without any ingredient that you're patch tested to be sensitive to) and mild to mid potency cream for flare-up and protopic for maintenance. Protopic is not for treating a flare-up but often a non-steroidal alternative to parts of body that skin is thinner like the face. Check on chlorhexidine shower or cleaning to kill staph bacteria. Healthy diet, sleep and see if these 'basic' works. It would be unwise (i think) to move onto oral drug if not all that can be done is explored.

Hugs, sorry if I sounded naggy lol, but just concerned not to be hasty,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

emma91182

by emma91182 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I definitely need to discuss the oral medication with my dermatologist (when I get to have an appointment with one that is) as I don't know what other options in terms of creams they can provide, but I won't be jumping into anything too quick.

I will also check and ask my doctor about chlorhexidine shower as well.

Thank you again.

Emma :)

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:10 am

You're welcome Emma :) Sometimes (through no fault of doctors) there is limited time to discuss lifestyle (smoking, diet), triggers, wet wrap, bacteria killing plan (lol), and thus it may seem to be faster to instead work on stronger steroid alternative. Do take the time yourself to work on these.. and then hopefully your doc has consultation time to explore with you. At least your proactive approach will get your doc to sit up and listen :))

Hugs,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

4 posts