Help with discoid eczema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
petecorsa5

by petecorsa5 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:56 pm

Help with discoid eczema

Hi, I have two patches of discoid eczema on my leg, each about 60mm across, one on my shin and one on the inside of my foot below my heel. Both started after previous abrasion injury and will not heal, I read everywhere that it is important to moisturise but if I apply any cream/Aveeno etc then the skin goes soggy and comes off leaving it red raw, especially on my foot where it is impossible to avoid it rubbing on shoes.
I tried as an experiment to leave it completely dry for a week, it itched really badly and was covered in thick cracked flakes of yellow dry skin - although a couple of bits seemed better but the first time I got it damp it went back to being red raw, it hurt to walk and I do a lot of walking.
I seem to be going round in circles, I can't seem to have a bath or use moisturisers without the skin just all coming off - help! Also the anti itch creams work on the eczema area but make the skin all around really itchy!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:25 am

Re: Help with discoid eczema

Sorry to hear that... have no experience with discoid eczema but I read that protection of the skin barrier is important, i.e moisturizer and making sure that you don't further hurt the leg/shin. Did doc say why the skin comes off? Any advice on using chlorhexidine shower/wash since discoid is often suspected to be due to staph bacteria?

Not much help, take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

2 posts