Eyelid eczema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
lumi0182

by lumi0182 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Eyelid eczema

Hi everyone,

For the past few years I've been getting eczema on my eyelids and undereye area; the typical redness, itchiness and flaking. Some days are worse than others. My latest bout started around the middle of July and is still present. It seems to flare up at certain times of the year then disappears completely. I am at a loss as to what could be causing it, I haven't made any changes in my personal care products, laundry, diet, etc. I am thinking it could perhaps be an environmental allergy. It is localized only in that area which makes me even more perplexed.

Has anyone experienced eyelid only eczema? Any advice for potential treatments or other things to discuss with a doctor? I haven't been using any over the counter hydrocortisone on my eyelid as I know that is not recommended. Has anyone used Protopic or Elidel? I've tried bland, unfragranced over the counter moisturizers and some provide temporary relief while others sting badly. Any ideas on how to pinpoint the potential cause too? If this had only happened once I wouldn't be concerned but it keeps recurring. Some relief would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:59 am

Re: Eyelid eczema

Hi there!

Sorry to hear that, I suppose it's worth getting a patch test if the problem is recurring. The eyelid skin is the thinnest, thus more likely to be sensitive to products/chemicals than other parts of skin. Also, no change to the product used may not mean that one won't be sensitive to it because irritant contact dermatitis is delayed reaction and sometimes, it's very much overtime use that trigger it (as oppose to allergic contact dermatitis where the reaction comes on within few hours).

Hope it'd all get better for you, take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

anyaaaaa

by anyaaaaa on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Eyelid eczema

Hi I use a nice greasy ointment on my face for the dry and red areas, rather than creams even though it's a pain and it takes ages to soak in it works wonders. Mine is called hydromol but tbh it's pretty much Vaseline.... Hope this help also I think protopic is a good idea to avoid red skin syndrome I haven't started it yet but I have been proscribed it because of the thin skin in those areas long term steroid use is more damaging and can cause the same effects as eczema (dry red itchy scaly skin)

3 posts