no treatment left to try

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

28 posts
joblanco

by joblanco on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:46 pm

no treatment left to try

Hi I have suffered and I mean suffered lol for 37 years with atopic eczema, It started when I was 2, I have tried through the years, elimination diets with great Ormond st and a fantastic man called Dr Atherton, who I have never forgotten all these years. I have tried Chinese herbs twice which made my tongue swell and I ended up in hospital for a month, acupuncture which had no effect whatsoever, topical steroids, oral steroids, various moisturisers, various professionals thinking they knew my skin more than me. I have had steroids taken off me now due to the skin thinning to the point where I couldn't hold my daughter. My current dermatologist says I have nothing left to try apart from the dreaded immunosuppressive drugs. I am now trying protopic again which is leaving my skin dry and red !!! I am tired, itchy, raw and bloody Fed up. It's weeping, crusty and itchy beyond belief, does anyone know what else I can do, I am even looking at trials, I am desperate

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:00 am

Re: no treatment left to try

Sorry to hear that.. allergy testing? I know that can only be done when off immuno drugs and antihistamine, so check with your doc. Bacteria colonization stops skin from recovering too - chlorhexidine wash. Adult wet wrap garments? Sorry, likely you have explored many options already, hope it will get better for you.
Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

HubblesMom

by HubblesMom on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:14 am

Hi

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. My son has suffered from eczema since he was a baby and has had a really hard time dealing with it. I really hate using the steroid creams because it seemed to make him sicker than he was before. I ended up finding a product called Yoreganics which is totally organic and has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the itchiness, redness and pain from eczema. The laundry products are cool and def. great to remove chemicals from touching your skin, but the balm is the BEST. It's super hydrating and healing without being greasy and gross. We use it for EVERYTHING in our house. I hope this helps a little bit and good luck!
Last edited by talkhealth on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed, commercial promotion not allowed per our terms and conditions.

valentine

by valentine on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:21 am

I was diagnosed with eczema approximately 3 months ago. I can imagine what you are going through. I am going to a dermatologist in New Mexico. He swears by gabapentine (300 mg. a day). If I feel my skin starting to itch I take a 100 mg. gabapentine. It seems to ward it off. Hope you feel better real soon. All I can say is eczema is very evil. I already hate it.

minime001

by minime001 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Sorry to hear there is nothing left for you to try. My eczema came back a couple of weeks ago. My old eczema products I was using were not good enough anymore because it has gotten very cold, but I found a good cream called Organic Skin Quench it is made from cocoa butter and other organic ingredients and it stopped the itching instantly. I only mention this because it was as soon as i put the balm on my skin it just went calm and started to heal. In 2 days the angry redness had gone down. It also smells of chocolate too. I also read in a news article a short while ago that some people have a malfunctioning protein which doesn't give the skin the fats and hydration it needs? Which does sound kind of true? I hope you find hope soon. Have you tried ridding your house of synthetic perfumes? Are you allergic to anything specific? I am allergic to wool, wood shavings, artificial perfumes, carmine in makeup, a dusty house, certain farming harvesting times, cats, dogs and a few flowers, trees and grass pollens. I also saw a programme about going out into nature helps expose ourselves to good bacteria that helps us not be so allergic too. I think it was a panorama TV show. The ridding of the house of perfumes helps, that helps, it helps alot. By the way: My eczema only got bad because I was under lots of stress. I get eczema when I am sick and stressed. If I think of anything else I'll write. good luck x

minime001

by minime001 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Have you tried Quercetin? I take that - 2 capsules a day. I only take Viridian as it is an ethical vitamin company. It helps when I am with people who have had their clothes washed in supermarket powders. I am very allergic to Daz - it makes me very sick and gives me instant rashes and then opens up as chemical burns.

jentaylor

by jentaylor on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:26 am

Have you tried Gold Bond extra strength body lotion? It's in. A green pump bottle. I'm a massage therapist and my hands broke out and keeps flaring up. I use triple antibiotic ointment on the sore's, after you put that on and don't feel a burning sensation then keep using it but in a thin layer. Then put the gold bond on and rub it in lightly. Wait till it drys and then put more on. Keep feeling the skin, if it still feels rough then put more. Keep doing that till the skin feels super soft. Then let it sit.

If you have gloves (if it's on you're hands) put a good amount on your skin and rub it in till it's almost dry. Put the gloves on for an hour or more. Keep doing that through out the day.

That's what I've been doing all day and I saw a difference. It's clearing up the redness is getting lighter. Doesn't itch or burn.

I know all skin is different but this is what I tried and saw 100% difference.
I also don't wash my hands often because of the gloves, and put gold bond on after I take the gloves off or wash my hands. Constantly! But that's my line of work.

Hope this helps if you haven't tried it yet.

Jen

MaryF891

by MaryF891 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Sorry to hear that.. I know very well how it feels. My son was suffering of very bad ezcema, and we were able to cut off slowly on the hydrocortisone by combining an aloe vera drink, every day, and a creme based on propolis (bee product). Have you ever tried that combination?

healthcare247

by healthcare247 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:35 pm

I think only try remaining with you is to change to current residence location towards topical and humid environment as you had been tried out all the possibilities on medical parameters.

ChesterUK

by ChesterUK on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Our three year old son has had very bad eczema from birth and we tried every product we could find to little avail. We were recommended a Czech product called 'Lopuchova Mast' which contains homeopathic and herbal extracts with ingredients including greater burdock, bees wax, lavender oil, and vitamin E. He really liked the ointment and it cleared up the worst patches amazingly well.
Last edited by talkhealth on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No sales please see forum rules

28 posts