newly diagnosed -need advice?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
bunnyears

by bunnyears on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:08 am

newly diagnosed -need advice?

Hi! I am a 16 year old girl who is currently studying for her exams and although I had a small case of folliculitis I have never suffered with any skin condition. About three weeks ago I noticed a rash on my stomach and dismisses it as heat rash. After it hasn't gone down for a week it was decided I needed to go to the drs just to get it checked out, where they said I had dermatitis. There isn't a family history of it though there is one with hayfever is that a possible cause? Just really would like some advice on possible causes and what I can do to stop it from itching so much? Was prescribed hay fever tablets and a weak cream which I need to pick up tomorrow but the tablets have done diddly squat:(

Thank you for reading x

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:27 am

Re: newly diagnosed -need advice?

Hi there! Sorry to hear of your prob, hugs!
Hay fever/ seasonal allergy and eczema kinda belongs to a group of allergy-related syndrome disease and usually having one type in your family means more likely to have other conditions - eczema, allergy, asthma, rhinitis..

I'm guessing the tablets are antihistamine to reduce the itch and mild steroid cream to reduce inflammation at the skin. If it's a mild case, both of these should work. If you've dry skin, moisturize whether or not you have rash. If it persist, take allergy test and also look at what creams/products you're using.

Causes are hard to pin down - dry skin, immune too hyper reaction, environment, diet/allergy. But I'm thinking you may want to ask the doc what dermatitis you have. The causes of atopic dermatitis are different from contact irritant dermatitis though your doc may not think it matter too much as the way he/she'd be treating it may be the same. It's good to know though.. if it's contact, it's more related to products you're using (or have been using for weeks) so you may want to investigate further in that area. Consider patch testing.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

2 posts