Bathing and Showering - My Skin Hates Water

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

8 posts
copingone

by copingone on Sat May 28, 2011 1:28 am

Bathing and Showering - My Skin Hates Water

Hi,

I have a problem which is really frustrating.

Whether I bathe or shower, use emollient, no emollient, soap or no soap, after I step out of the water, my skin starts to roll off. I try and pat dry but anything even slightly less gentle than a pat and skin starts to roll away. I try and resist the urge but the thought of taking all this apparently dead skin around with me out of the bath or shower makes me want to take off all the skin I can find loose.

What I'd like to know, if anyone has any experience of this is; is it a good idea to take this loose skin off and how can I prevent this from happening?

It's getting so bad that I find I can better manage my eczema by not bathing or showering! That make me feel 'euch', but at least then my skin seems to behave somewhat.

Any thoughts or advice?

racquelle

by racquelle on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Bathing and Showering - My Skin Hates Water

Hi,
Ive had problems with bathing and showering as well. I used to find that my skin would be so bad after water I didnt want to get in any. The only thing Ive started doing is showering with moisturiser, nothing special jsut the usual one I use everyday.. be careful though as this can make the shower slippy!

I also started using a pumiss??(sp) stone. This rather than a loufer or anything like that just gently gets rid of dead skin but I havent found it's taken off the skin I actually want and need...

Its so frustrating, have you got any tips? I also found changing my shampoo to a prescribed one helped a little, Im just really conscious of the smell of creams etc when I get close to friends and family etc.

sunny81

by sunny81 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:55 am

Hi guys,

Here's my solution, it may not work for some, but after years of experimenting - its worked for me!

I have a cool - at first your like aaahhhhhh because of the cold water, but you get used to it. I would play around and find the best temp for you, anything below warm/tepped is fine.

I have a quick rinse of the whole body, turn shower off. Whilst still in the tub I apply Cetraben cream all over my body, then wash off with the shower - same cool temperature. Exit shower and apply Aveeno cream - I have come to loving this stuff! No perfume, collidial oatmeal, and the natural scent is better than that of most creams and moisturisers Ive used.

The key here is the minimal time exposed to water. Less is more :)

Also, I have a water filter/softener, this eliminates the chlorine. Problem with most of the UK is the crappy water - Chlorine will play a big part in most eczema sufferers lives, make no mistake about it. Soon as Im away from the UK, depending on the country, Im fine - India, Spain, Germany...

Shower filters needn't be expensive, here is a link to the one I use, and it does seem to do what it says on the tin, and took me oh 5 mins to install..

http://www.pureshowers.co.uk/product_in ... ucts_id=29

All the best guys..
Sunny81

Khe

by Khe on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi all....

I have found post most interesting as its always been a problem of mine...although slightly different.

If my eczema is bad on my hands, i dread washing them because as soon as the water dries, my skin itches like you cant believe!! I get so angry cause i cant believe that just plain WATER can make me itch like that!

When I shower, the water has to be either ice cold or very hot....warm water also makes me itch! When I get out of the shower,I have about a 10 minute window to apply creams to my entire body before it dries and tightens to the extreme!

And then after all of that, i start itching again after i have applied the creams (which are all preservative & fragrance free)

The one cream that i am using just on my eczema patches at present, is supposed to be excellent but itches me.

Its the Eucerin Repair Cream with 10% Urea. Anyone else used it??

I keep using it cause i believe its going to work eventually, but is it doing me more harm than good if im so itchy afterwards?

Does anyone know what it means if a cream makes you itch?

Kim

sunny81

by sunny81 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:59 pm

If a cream makes u itch it generally is a good idea to avoid it. Sorry that sounded like sarcasm but i promise it wasnt intended to.

Dermol cream did that to me like you wouldnt believe!

I now use Aveeno cream and love it !! It is expensive but its also on prescription so i have a prepaidcard makin it free for me :)

All the best
Sunny81

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:40 am

I couldn't agree more if a cream makes you itch then I'd try and get a different one. What other emollients have you tried? Make sure you pat the creams onto the skin and not rub - have you tried a spray emollient?
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

mookie41

by mookie41 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi,

Maybe you could try a water softner!

I have just finished the trial of the Kinetico water softner and am very pleased with the results on my eczema, it is so much better than 3 months ago, I would love to buy a unit!

Also my skin and clothes feel much softer and am definately using less products around the home.

I can't get used to the taste of the water, that would be my only negative.

The quality of my life os much improved indeed.

martinclukey

by martinclukey on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:12 am

I finally discovered an unlikely solution that's actually got my skin feeling healthy and nigh acne free...not bathing as frequently or washing my face! It shits all over my confidence and it's the only thing I hate about my body to avoid getting any water , shampoo, or shampoo run-off on my face or chest. For more info in shower filters these thread are more helpful. thanks

8 posts