Itchiness on scalp

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
bartos

by bartos on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:11 pm

Itchiness on scalp

I have an itchy scalp - I have been prescribed nizoral shampoo as I seem to have almost adult cradle cap on the back of my scalp. This shampoo doesn't really work as my scalp itches almost immediately after treatment. I was given a betnovate foam for the scalp but that seems to make my scalp a bit sore so I gave it up. I just need something to calm the scalp - I have rosacea also and I have been told that its associated with my itchy scalp. Is there anything else that I could try? Many thanks

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: Itchiness on scalp

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I am sorry you are not finding your nizoral treatment helpful at the moment.

Since you have already tried a couple of treatments unsuccessfully we need to ascertain the severity of the problem. Do you find the itchiness affects only the scalp or has it spread to other areas such as the eyebrows or behind the ears? Is there any reddening or crusting of the scalp skin? Have any red plaque patches developed?

What products have you already tried?
There are lots of alternatives out there for scalp conditions but the active ingredients fall into 3 distinct groups:
Ketoconazole (found in nizoral), an antifungal shampoo, is estimated to be the most effective treatment available over the counter. Selenium sulphide is another group, as are coal tar products are also available from most pharmacies and may be worth a try.

Whichever product you choose, once applied and massaged into the scalp, it must be left for at least 5 minutes to work. Most cases should begin to improve within 12 weeks of treatment. Can I ask, how long have you been using the Nizoral? How frequently?

I would also advise that you ensure all hair products are washed out of the hair adequately to avoid any irritation.

In your case, since you have tried a couple of treatments already, you might like to visit your local community pharmacy who will be able to advise you further.

Best wishes,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

bartos

by bartos on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Re: Itchiness on scalp

Hi Justine - thank you for your detailed reply. In answer to some of your questions yes it is itchy sometimes behind the ears and very itchy around the line where the scalp joins my neck skin. My scalp appears pinky/red and irritated. I don't think I have red plaques but I do get some kind of spot problem as my comb catches on them - not too many maybe two/three from time to time - are these plaques? I have had this condition for over 2 years but after looking at what you wrote maybe I need to be more persistent with the Nizoral, I will give that a try. I have also tried Eucerin scalp calming lotion - something in me says that I have dry skin on my scalp which needs appropriate treatment like dry skin anywhere on the body. As suggested I will go and have a chat with my local pharmacist.

thank you for your time

3 posts