Skin Allergies Through Illnesses

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.
3 posts
debbieislush

by debbieislush on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Skin Allergies Through Illnesses

Hi, I have Fibromyalgia and M.E/CFS, a couple of years ago I suddenly started to get unexplained rashes. I found I became very sensitive and could not use any kind of products on my skin, I've even tried natural product such as Argan oil and Coconut oil but I still get a reaction. My skin has become very very dry and tight and I am afraid of putting anything on to it. A nurse told me it looked like mature people's eczema and much older than my age of 53. I get sores on my elbows and have had Celulitus a number of times on my legs. My neck and chest are the worse and it flares up with a raised, large red and angry rash. All my GP has done is put me on Anti-histamine which I have now been on for a number of years. I can't use shower gel or anything to wash myself with and have to be very careful as to make sure I have washed all the shampoo and conditioner off my hair and skin. Could you please give me any advice as to what I could use, including shampoos, I've got double base gel but even that can irritate the skin and doesn't moisturise it very well...Thanks

Jane Dean

by Jane Dean on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Re: Skin Allergies Through Illnesses

Hi Debbie,
Skin conditions are often a reflection of an internal problem. I suspect because of your medical condition, you may have had a number of courses of antibiotics. If this is true, the first thing is to balance the flora in your gut, so you need a really powerful pro-biotic, drink kefir (fermented milk) and eat natural yoghurt.
It may be worth trying ZEODERM a skin cream produced by SALCURA which will sooth your skin.

Dr. Sweta Rai

by Dr. Sweta Rai on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:32 pm

Re: Skin Allergies Through Illnesses

I am sorry to hear of your very understandable distress with this rash. Angry red rashes which come and go on a background of scaly dry skin are commonly although not exclusively eczematous in nature. There are many reasons why one may develop eczema as they mature, the most common reason being generalised dryness of skin with maturity due to the lack of essential oils keep the skin barrier intact as we mature. The other reasons may be that you may have come in to contact with some external substance which is causing a contact allergy. Common allergens causing eczema on exposed areas of skin such as the face, chest, arms and legs are fragrances in perfumes, aerosol sprays etc. amongst many others. I would advise you keep a diary of things you come in contact with 48 -72 hours prior to the rash appearing and see if there is a pattern with a particular substance which may be the trigger.

If this is an ongoing problem, you need to see a Dermatologist in a hospital setting when the rash is at its worst where appropriate investigations such as patch testing for identifying a contact allergen if this is relevant may be performed. A greasy yet bland moisturiser such as vaseline would give better emmoliation to your skin without any further irritation. A topical steroid cream obtainable from your GP may be useful when the rash is red and angry and calm down the itch and soreness. If you get areas of weeping or yellow crusting with the rash this may be a sign of infection and you will need to see your GP with regards to taking antibiotics either topically or oral tablets if the infection is severe.

I hope this advice is helpful to you. Please keep us informed of your progress.

My best wishes,
Dr. Sweta Rai
MRCP (U.K), MRCP Dermatology (U.K), MRCP Dermatologic Surgery (U.K), Procedural Dermatology (U.S.A)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ta_rai.php

3 posts