is it just me ?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
scratchinmysleep

by scratchinmysleep on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:47 pm

is it just me ?

hi there
so keeping this as short as possible.
i'm 14 soon to be 15
i have severe atopic eczema and obviously people quite often ask me about it which i don't mind but what i don't like is when they try to relate to me about telling me that they get small patches of it as if i care. i always want to scream at them "oh really is it that bad only having it on your joints i wouldn't know i have it everywhere and i'm in constant pain" i also hate when people who know nothing about it try telling me what i should and shouldn't do i know they all mean well but why do they do this. of course i never say anything to any of them as that would be rude but i was just wondering if anyone else feels this way or am i just a bit of a jerk or self centered about this and please be honest with me because if i am i would really like to know so i can try to stop it and figure out if i'm like this in any other cases of life.
thank you so much for anything anyone has to say.

chester_chops

by chester_chops on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: is it just me ?

Hey
Your certainly not self centred no one knows unless you have it! It's an up hill battle! I can barely type this as my hands and wrists are cut to death n my arms are in a right state as well!
I get the same oh I had a patch of that for like a day when I was 5....really.....REALLY! So Ye a totally know what ur goin through...how about **** off
It's a horrific pain that never leaves so ur not the only person that feels that, don't be hard on yourself cause the people who ask and stare n point surely make up for it!

Hit me up if u wanna chat some more

Daryn

chevonneriley

by chevonneriley on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi there,

I'm a new member to the forums, I'm 29 and have had eczema all my life.

Currently I'm dealing with a particularly nasty flare up, I suffer with it all over my body .

A person at work first asked "urgh what's that on your face" I replied it's eczema (I'm very concious of it and went bright red) next they said "oh that looks so sore and itchy, I don't know how you cope with that" they then proceed to show me a little rash on there forearm (looked like heat rash) and said that it's been driving them mad itching all the time so they know how I feel.

Now I understand people want to try and relate but I would rather they didn't.

Yes we know that our skin looks awful I don't think we need it to be brought up, most people look at it when they are talking to you anyway, surely that's enough.

It's really upsets me, so in the nicest way possible I'm glad I'm not alone.

Xx

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:05 am

Thanks for the sharing :) and with increasing eczema, I'd always take the chance to raise awareness should someone ask about my child's skin. Online groups like this are fab for support, try face to face support groups too.

Take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

4 posts