I hate myself

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

8 posts
lishasss

by lishasss on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:04 pm

I hate myself

I've had eczema practically all my life and I'm now 18 going on 19 and I'm at that point where I can't take it anymore. It gets me down so much every single day and I feel stupid and think to myself it's only a skin condition how can it make you so sad, but people don't realise the impact it has, physically and mentally.

I'm lucky in the sense that I don't have severe eczema on my body anymore, but I still have the marks which remind me I did. On my face and neck it's just horrible. I wake up every morning barely able to move because it's so dry. My skin is in such bad condition, no matter how much moisturiser I put on, it doesn't make a difference. My skin looks so dull, I have dark circles and bags under my eyes, I have pigmentation around my mouth. I never ever leave the house without make up because I hate my face so much, I still hate it with the make up but its a slight improvement.

I'm just fed up of feeling so disgusting all the time. I want to look in a mirror and not feel gross at myself. I'm 18 and I'm a uni student and I just want to enjoy it but I can't. I'm constantly worrying about my skin. I wake up everyday thinking am I going to have a good skin day or a bad skin day?

I just have no self confidence at all. I hate going out. I spend most my time in my pyjamas sat at home because I feel so crap. I just hate the way I look so much.

I also surrounded by people who have naturally good skin and it makes me so envious. I've spent all my life trying to improve my skin and its not worked and then some people don't even have to do anything.

I'm just sick of it. I keep telling myself it'll get better, but will it really? Is this the life I've got to look forward to?

The thing is no one takes you seriously when you say you're depressed because you've got a skin condition.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 am

Re: I hate myself

Hi Lishasss,

So so sorry to hear about your eczema and the self image, hugs from Singapore mom of eczema toddler (gal). A lot of people, teens with eczema go through what you're feeling, I'm not going to provide you skincare/eczema tips cos I think hugs and support is what you're looking for. I've friends with eczema share every friday their journey on my blog and a few do 'conquer' this difficult period you're going through, true friends will stick by you too!

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

godslady77

by godslady77 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Awww Sweetie I have eczema too and I have had it all my life so I can relate! I have also felt the same way too and sometimes I still do. Im into fashion and I have always wanted to be able to show my legs but they are so scared from eczema that I dont show them I cover them up with pants and long skirts. So keep your head up and hang around people that can embrace you as you are!!!

vanessat

by vanessat on Sat May 03, 2014 2:10 am

lishasss, I completely understand what your going through. I am 18 and also suffer from eczema which despite has drastically improves,my impaired self image still remains the same. I always feel that too "The thing is no one takes you seriously when you say you're depressed because you've got a skin condition."
I consider myself to be an introvert, i dont neccesarily enjoy going out, because i struggle to find something to wear that would cover all my eczema but at the same time look 'cute' for a night out :? I hate the skin im in, and would do anything to get rid of it Forever. Im fed up of having to look down at my feet and see something abnormal, i want to have legs like all the other girls i surround. I have hope, things get better

Stay Strong x

Vanessa

lindsayjacob

by lindsayjacob on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Omg I totally feel you. I'm a freshman, soon to be sophomore, and it's so annoying that these people with beautiful skin take it for granted:( it's the worst thing when someone says "it's just some itchy skin". Because along with that itchy skin, I got athsma, staph infection, and other things. My eczema is pretty severe also, I've been on immune depresents, antibiotics, etc. I keep going in and out of depression, and it's so emotionally and physically difficult. I really hope it gets better like you said. And I'm sorry you have to suffer the emotional scars of this. It really does suck. Sending love❤️

addseo1118

by addseo1118 on Fri May 22, 2015 8:03 am

Don't hate yourself much. Love more yourself.
Thanks for your experiences. ;)

sammieblue

by sammieblue on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:46 pm

I totally feel for you! I am also your age and have had eczema all my life! I hate it, but I have learned to live with it! But lately I have been getting really fed up with it and I truly want it gone. I have tried sooooooo many different medications, lotions and treatments and non of them work besides one which I was very surprised about. I have recently started using Trukid eczema cream and its been working miracles on my body. Trukid is an all natural skincare company for kids and adults and I love it! The eczema cream is steroid free so it doesn't affect my body only soothes it! I would definitely recommend this! If nothing else is working i would give this a try! I hope you work through it! I know its rough but you can do it!
Sammie Blue

suffererfrombirth

by suffererfrombirth on Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:47 am

I'm 15 and know exactly how you feel, I can't stand going to school and I feel like everyone is looking at me. I live in a part of Australia where it is ridiculously hot but I wear a jumper anyway to cover my arms but I cant hide my legs under the short, mid-thigh high skirts. You're not alone xx

8 posts