i need help so badly, eczema is ruining my life!

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
youngsadgirl

by youngsadgirl on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:48 pm

i need help so badly, eczema is ruining my life!

i really hope i get some responses from this because im at the point of giving up,
im 16 years old and have had eczema all my life but for the past 5 years my eczema has been worse than ever, when i was younger i only use to get it on the creases in my arms and legs but now, its covering my neck, my breasts, my bum, my arms, my back, my legs, my belly, my genital area, my hands basically everywhere! and i can't cope with it anymore, ive tried emollients and steriod creams and nothing has helped me i saw a dermotoligist about 2 years ago and i found out i was allergic to dust mites so i got sheets that would helped this and keep everything clean but it still doesn't help, i feel alone... to the point where i dont even want to be here anymore, i've missed a lot of school because of my eczema as some days it hurts to just walk to just move around, and to be honest its completley embarrassing, i wake up and my bed is covered in dead skin and it's disgusting, it stops me from having relationship's with boys because im too embarrassed for them to see my body, i have lost all confidence with myself all i want to do is hide. please can someone help me, it seems sometimes that doctors dont care, they don't realise the pain that its causing me the emotional pain that i have to live with everyday and i'm in tears just typing this, because i find it so hard to talk about, i will honestly do anything for this to go away, i hate myself.

thank you.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:29 am

Re: i need help so badly, eczema is ruining my life!

Hi Youngsadgirl,

So sorry to hear of your worsening eczema and impact on your life, esp. teen.

Are you allergic to only dust mite? May consider retaking allergy test if it's been done many years ago. As for dust mite, they cannot be totally removed - watch out for sofa upholstery, curtains, best if using a thin mattress that can be sunned and also changing your pillow regularly.

On the emotional aspect, join a teen support group near your area? Also Annie Fox, an educator and passionate on teen recently shared this advice in my blog interview:
Marcie Mom: One final question – how would you advice a teenager with eczema to manage the social/emotional side of eczema, and communicating with his/her friends about it?

Annie: I think today’s social climate makes it easier for teens to be real with each other. Think about it, everyone has something that makes him/her different. And as a culture we tend to be more open and accepting of those differences than we were when I was a teen. Today it’s not unusual for a teen to say to his/her peers: “I am gay.” Or “I have ADHD.” Or “I have Aspergers.” Or any of a hundred conditions/syndromes. Being straight up honest with friends is the best way to manage stress and anxiety. Then you can just be yourself and not hide.

Eczema does need to be treated, and it can worsen due to puberty, hormonal changes. Do not give up, and whist you continue moisturizing, (consider swimming for 15mins alternate day, shower immediately after, not if your skin is broken though), do find a dermatologist - left untreated, the inflammation can't be healed and if infected, could be worse.

You're not alone in this dear,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

MayaMushu

by MayaMushu on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Hey I'm new to this forum but i know your pain, trust me and I'm sure there are plently of people out there that do as well.

I'm 17, almost 18 and my eczema skyrocketed high during my teenage years. I must have had it as a kid too but it never really showed up apart from the odd rash until I moved to the UK when i was 11. The climate change, the school changes along with the hormonal/diet, etc etc must have awoken this thing inside me cus I never really found out I had it till I was 13 and had a full blown rash all over my upper backside and the back of my legs. Since I can't really see those areas on my body, I would scratch till the cows came home and ended up bleeding all over the place. Now when I look back I regret not trying to control my scratching so much cus I'm left with dark brown/purple scars everywhere.The doctors all give me different steroid cortisone creams and emoliants, non of them work, I go back, they say- lets refer to to someone else and they say- lets try another set of creams. The cycle never ends. I'm trying to insist on getting a blood test from my doctor recently cus I've had signs before that I seem to be allergic to some kind of food but she keeps up the whole- "eczema is genetic so you'll have to deal with it i'm affraid" and "its not routine to take a blood test for eczema" -_-

I've never been big on wearing revealing clothes but I used to be able to enjoy at least wearing 3-quarter sleeves in the summer. But I've kissed that goodbye now due to my recent flare up on my forearm that's exploded into a heartwarming deep purple colour with inflammed pink on the side. I joke about it but its either that or cry about it. Even if my skin turned back to its normal colour, it would still be scaly, bumpy and scarred. I seemed to reach the point of "i don't care anymore". Which was stupid because I ignored my eczema and let it carry on. It made me bitter to everyone around me who seem to have perfect skin and their idea of a 'skin crisis' was an odd zit or two.
My reaction to eczema seems to be the opposite of yours. We need to meet in a healthier middle.

My advice to you is find something to focus on. Anything, find a hobby, something you're good at. Take your mind off eczema. Because this bitch of a disease will try to take control of your life. Don't let it.
Our physical appearance does have a huge impact on our self esteem, something I tried desperately to deny. But our physical appearance isnt everything. I'm not going to be seen simply as 'the girl who has eczema'. And I'm SURE you aren't either.

Ha sorry for this very long post. I just have a lot of eczema agnst built up inside me XD
Right now I'm trying to keep my mind off my eczema by focusing on my A levels, getting to Uni and other little things like movies, music, etc. But don't try to completely ignore it like I did :P keep applying your ointments. I've just recently started to used coconut oil on my eczema as I've heard great things about it (though I remain pessimistic for my life time of atopic eczema) and would like to stop relying on steroid creams and start more with natural remedies. In the meantime, as the great artist Ben Howard says- "Keep your head up and your heart strong"

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:05 am

HI Maya,

Thanks for sharing your story and all the best for your A levels!

Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

4 posts