Coil - excruciating fitting

If you have any questions about conception, fertility or pregnancy, please post your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
fredaz123

by fredaz123 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:46 am

Coil - excruciating fitting

Hi I’ve got the Jaydess coil fitted which is great. I’ve never got on with the pill, the patch or depo injections so it was a relief to find another option. However, I’ve had it fitted twice now after having the last one for 3 years, but each time I find the fitting process excruciating. Having it taken out was painful but very quick so bearable. Last time I had gas and air while they re-fitted it but I still found it unbearable and couldn’t lie still while they fitted it because I was in agony. The time before they used a local anaesthetic but that didn’t do very much. I’ve had various unrelated operations before so I have had to tolerate pain before but this is nothing like I’ve experienced previously. When I’m next due to have it exchanged are there any options to make it less painful? Otherwise I won’t be able to have it put back in. I would be prepared to go privately to ensure a pain free process. I haven’t had children, and I don’t plan to but I’m 36 so not ready to consider sterilisation. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Debby Holloway

by Debby Holloway on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:41 am

Re: Coil - excruciating fitting

I would suggest talking to your doctor or nurse and looking at what local anaesthetic you had last time, there are gels and an injection and the injection combined with gas and air may well work. I would arrange a consultation and then talk through the different options there is,

Mr Radwan Faraj

by Mr Radwan Faraj on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:49 am

Re: Coil - excruciating fitting

I advise strong pain killers before you o by 1-2 hours. Ask your doctor to use local anaesthtics.
if that still painful then you can ask to have it fitted under light sedation or anaesthtic

Removal is much easier than fitting

all the best
Mr Radwan Faraj
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _faraj.php

3 posts