Low-calorie diet to reverse type 2 diabetes

Author: talkhealth

Date: Dec 2018

The NHS is rolling out a low-calorie diet programme to thousands of people in the UK. Around 90% of people with diabetes have type 2, which is strongly linked to lifestyle and diet. The other 10% have type 1, an autoimmune disease which is not linked to being overweight. Today, the NHS spends around 10% of its budget treating diabetes.

A trial conducted at the end of 2017 managed to reverse the condition for around half of those who took part. The new trial will involve 5,000 men and women on a strict 800-calorie diet, made up of liquid meals and shakes, with follow-up support. Once the success of the trial has been assessed it will be extended to a much larger population.

Prof Jonathan Valabhji, national clinical director for diabetes and obesity for NHS England, told the BBC that diet is challenging and it’s not for everyone. He added: "But we think it is worth exploring the implementation of these programmes within the NHS so that those who could benefit, can benefit."

Read the full article on the BBC news website.

talkhealth is developing its myweight support programme, which you can now sign up to if you wish.

Information contained in this Articles page which doesn’t state it has been written by talkhealth, has been written by a third party, who has not paid to be on the talkhealth platform, and has been republished with their permission. talkhealth cannot vouch for or verify any claims made by the author, and we do not endorse any specific products, brands, or treatments mentioned. The content in our Articles pages should not be considered a substitute for medical advice. You should always seek medical advice before changing your treatment routine.

Next review: 12 December 2021