Right, a few weeks back I got a call from MyItchyBoy’s nursery.  I was told that he had a red eye, that it possibly looked a bit swollen.  They were concerned enough to call, weren’t sure what had happened.  They couldn’t find the anti-histamine that they have on site (don’t get me started on that!) but when I got there, he looked fine.  There was a bit of a dry patch on his cheek, but that wasn’t anything to worry about as that’s normal for his skin.  Especially if he’s been scratching, it would be normal for him to get a bit red.

We went through the normal questions (they sneakily don’t bring out the play dough now when he’s there cos it flares his wrists up, but we don’t know why) of what he may have touched, eaten, etc.  They are usually really careful with him so it was a thorough run through of his day.

So, today I got another call.  This time a bit more worrying.  His eye was rashy apparently, his cheek and back of his neck.  I told them to give him some anti-histamine and I’d be there as soon as I could.

When I arrived (in a panic, obviously) there wasn’t anything to see.  His neck and chin were red this morning as we’d made sure to put extra cream on him when getting dressed.  However, all three of the classroom adults who came over said that the rash had gone down a lot and the anti-histamine seemed to have worked (about 20 mins later).  MIB gave me lots of cuddles, burying his head in my shoulder or lap and not talking.  It was hard to get him to prove that he could talk ok (to ensure no breathing troubles) but turns out he was just feeling a bit shy with all the attention.  I think the anti-histamine might have been kicking in a bit with a touch of drowsiness too.

We ran through the day again.  He’d only eaten the packed lunch I’d given them, no play dough, nothing unusual that any of them could think of.  The only thing is that today was Forest School day and it was the last time too.  Also, both calls were around the same time in the afternoon.  They go into the woods in the morning, have a snack there and then come back to the nursery.  They have lunch and then around 2pm I got the call.  Last couple of weeks there hasn’t been Forest School due to the weather.  I can’t remember if the last time was the last they went out there.

The only possible that the class leader came up with was the hand sanitiser they use with the kids in the woods before their snack.

However, my concern is that the first time it was just a bit of a red eye.  Today it seemed like it was worse.  Then again, I haven’t seen him with this ‘rash’ so I am not sure what it was.  Allergic reactions can often be cumulative so I am worried about next Thursday.

So, what was it?  Something in the woods?  Hand gel?

Please give me your ideas below or on Twitter @MyItchyBoy



My son has atopic eczema and he reacts badly to dairy, soya and we are slowly working towards him eating eggs again. He's had a mild anaphylactic reaction to peanuts and has regular flare-ups to random things that we rarely manage to pinpoint. I started the blog to share my experiences and frustrations of having an itchy boy.

Add a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *