PMDD treatment

If you have questions relating to any aspect of menstruation, please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:35 pm

PMDD treatment

Posted on behalf of Claire:
What is the best treatment for PMDD?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Mr Jonathan Broome

by Mr Jonathan Broome on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Re: PMDD treatment

Hello

Anything that flattens out the hormonal fluctuations associated with ovulatory menstrual cycles

The combined contraceptive pill taken continuously can help, other more drastic options would be removal of the ovaries and starting HRT (otherwise you'd hit the menopause like a brick wall!) If considering this I like to do a trial run with an injection to temporarily cause the menopause, (effectively removing your ovaries medically), along with add back HRT just to make sure that this works before going down the surgical route which is obviously irreversible.
Mr Jonathan Broome
Consultant Gynaecological Surgeon - MB ChB, MRCOG

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... broome.php

Mr Radwan Faraj

by Mr Radwan Faraj on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 am

Hi

I suggest life style changes different from your daily routine, try any sport you like

Medications like Venlafaxin may be used either daily or 2 weeks prior to your period. Please seek guidance from your doctor

all the best

Mr R Faraj

www.faraj-gynaecology.co.uk
Mr Radwan Faraj
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _faraj.php

magiksen

by magiksen on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:21 am

Thank you both for your replies. Im currently one month in to trying fluoxetine 0.5ml But didn’t notice much difference. Maybe a little. Interesting that venlafaxine was suggested rather than fluoxetine.
If after another month or two I haven’t noticed much has changed I will be asking my GP about shutting down the ovaries and if this would be possible as I think this would be very helpful.

4 posts