Cervical Ectropion

Ask our experts all your questions about smear tests, abnormal smears, cervical cancer etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Ali99

by Ali99 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Cervical Ectropion

After visiting my GP for a smear test and examination due to a combination of heavy periods, pelvic pain and the urgency to urine, my GP has said that I have redness on the outside of my cervix. She has said that this could be caused by a condition called cervical ectropion and if so most probably due to hormonal changes (I am nearly 50), however she has also said that it is indistinguishable from early cervical cancer.

I have a gynae ultrasound booked for 2 weeks time and she has fast tracked me to see a gynae consultant, however as you can imagine, it is slightly worrying. I have had no back pain, bleeding between periods or weight loss.

How common is cervical ectropion? and are there any predominant symptoms other than the redness?

Debby Holloway

by Debby Holloway on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Cervical Ectropion

They are very common and if you have a low risk and had had normal smear tests then they are normally harmless. The most common symptoms are none, bleeding in-between periods and bleeding after sex and sometime discharge it is the correct management to have a scan and fast track referral.

Mr Radwan Faraj

by Mr Radwan Faraj on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 am

Re: Cervical Ectropion

Dear Ali99

Cervical ectropion is more common in women at their twenties and thirties.

Majority are really benign and nothing to worry about. However, best diagnosis is by colposcopy and seems your GP already referred you to it
You will have a telescope magnified assessment of the cervix, as I said majority are fine. They may present with contaat bleeding ,i.e. bleeding after sex

all the best
Mr Radwan Faraj
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _faraj.php

3 posts