Have I waited too long?

Ask our experts all your questions about smear tests, abnormal smears, cervical cancer etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jojobean80

by jojobean80 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:34 am

Have I waited too long?

In 2004 I had an abnormal smear result, a cone biopsy and then cold colcoscopy treatment( I think that’s what it’s called). For the next few years I regularly had a yearly smear test. However, i haven’t had one for about 6 years now and I’m scared of what they may find if I do, so I keep putting it off. I reacted really badly to the treatment that I had at the clinic and found it extremely painful, even though I have 4 children. I’m scared that I may have left it too long without getting checked and I’m also scared that I’ll need treatment again. Is there anything that can help me get over this fear? Thank you

Mr Jonathan Broome

by Mr Jonathan Broome on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:19 pm

Re: Have I waited too long?

Hello

So you attended follow up for about 8 years and all was well? I'd view this as very positive and presumably after this time you'd have been discharged back to the national cervical screening programme.
If you're not experiencing any symptoms of bleeding after intercourse or discharge then thats further reassurance but I do think you need to see your practice nurse/GP for a smear. Unfortunately there's no easy way to get this done but maybe a chat beforehand will allay some of your anxiety.

It's never too late to go back and have a smear, I think you know that really!
Mr Jonathan Broome
Consultant Gynaecological Surgeon - MB ChB, MRCOG

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... broome.php

2 posts