Lifeless looking skin!

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
macocada

by macocada on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Lifeless looking skin!

I wonder whether you can advise me as to how I can ensure that my 66 year old typically pale English skin stays moisturised throughout the day? I shower in the mornings and have tried a variety of body creams including E45 but nothing really seems to do a good job. Either it sits on top of my skin and doesnt seem to get absorbed, or it sinks in without a trace and my skin still feels and looks dry. I prefer to use unscented or naturally scented creams/lotions if possible as I'm quite sensitive to some ingredients.

My skin has always been on the dry side, but now that I'm getting older, it just looks so lifeless. The skin on my face is fine, it's the rest of me! :roll:

Dr Sarita Singh

by Dr Sarita Singh on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Re: Lifeless looking skin!

Xerosis is the medical name for dry skin and by the age of 70 years nearly all adults are affected. In fact, xerosis is the most common cause of itching without rash in the older population.

Studies have shown that emollients combined with humectants (eg. urea) are the best strategy for treating xerosis. These can be obtained over the counter from a pharmacy (look for a product that contains at least 10% urea). You could use an ointment paraffin-based emollient at night for extra grease! Moisturise at least twice a day.

Avoid soaps and shower gels as these can exacerbate dry skin. Instead look for a soap substitute. Bathing in tepid water for 10 minutes with an added fragrance free Dermatological grade bath oil enables the skin to absorb water. You should moisturise immediately after washing to help lock in the moisture.

I am sure that if you follow these suggestions, your skin will have a new lease of life!
Sarita
Dr Sarita Singh
Consultant Dermatologist & British Skin Foundation Spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _singh.php

2 posts