Random patches of eczema

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
AngelaLa

by AngelaLa on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Random patches of eczema

In the last couple of years (I am 46) I have suddenly developed Eczema in odd random places. I have a small patch around my left eye, on my left elbow and just recently on my left wrist. I haven’t had any changes in my laundry detergent or skincare products and wondered if there is any particular reason that it’s just small patches and all on my left side. I have never had any problems with dry or itchy skin prior to this. The area around my eye is particularly upsetting as it makes my eye look red, swollen and the fine lines I have become extremely pronounced and droopy, if that makes sense.
I have been prescribed cream by my doctor but it doesn’t seem to help or clear it completely.

Dr Sarita Singh

by Dr Sarita Singh on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: Random patches of eczema

I am sorry that you have had problems with your skin. Eczema affecting the eyelid area needs further investigation as this is frequently a manifestation of an allergy to a product/specific ingredient/medicament (e.g. eye drops /contact lens solution and even nail varnish!). Your GP can refer you to a Dermatologist for something called Patch Testing.

In the meantime, I would advice you to stop using your current products and switch to a moisturiser specifically designed for eczema. You should moisturise at least twice a day (face and body). You should also use a soap-substitute rather than your usual face wash or make-up wipes. Gently pat your skin dry after washing and apply the moisturiser immediately afterwards.

I hope that this helps
Sarita
Dr Sarita Singh
Consultant Dermatologist & British Skin Foundation Spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _singh.php

2 posts