Scar on eyebrow.

Post your questions about elderly/older skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Shirley.

by Shirley. on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Scar on eyebrow.

I have a scar on my right eyebrow since 2012 after having corrective Surgery from blunt trauma, It is still quite noticeable and would like to know which is the best treatment to use as now I am getting older I would like to know if there is anything else to stop it looking worse. Thank you :D

Anjali Mahto

by Anjali Mahto on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Re: Scar on eyebrow.

Dear Shirley,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a question. It is difficult to give you tailored advice without seeing the scar and fully being able to assess it. However, in general terms, there are multiple scar treatments available from a consultant dermatologist or plastic surgeon. I would, however, emphasise that often the skin may never go back to looking exactly they way it did before the trauma took place. Often with scar treatments, multiple sessions of treatment may be required and sometimes even multiple types or modalities of treatment. The options chosen are very individual to the scar type.

In general terms there are many different treatments available including. These techniques are generally good for indented scars:
1. microneedling
2. scar revision surgery
3. laser (ablative and non-ablative)
4. TCA CROSS
5. subcision

If a scar is raised then it may require injection of steroid to flatten the area out. If it is discoloured e.g. red - then lasers can help.

In general terms, most creams, lotions and potions provide minimal benefit for scarring despite what the marketing advice will tell you. My best advice would be to consider a formal clinical assessment if the scar concerns you.

Best of luck!

Anjali Mahto
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

Shirley.

by Shirley. on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:43 am

Re: Scar on eyebrow.

Thank you Anjali.

3 posts