Problems with fecal / flatulence incontinence

If you have any bowel or IBS questions that don't fit into the topics below please post them to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Problems with fecal / flatulence incontinence

I have had a problem with fecal….but mainly flatuence incontinence since a forceps delivery in 1994. The inner sphincter muscle I believe does not join up in a complete circle. It has ruined my life. I am overweight with severe arthritis now. I avoid walking in case people hear me pass wind. When I go shopping I pass wind. I have tried (briefly) the feedback (squeezing muscles). Regardless of what I eat, I still have wind that can’t be controlled. I am managing at the moment with a part time job with the elderly ….but pass wind in front of them. I forsee a time in the not so distant future where I will not leave the house. I have had to give up hobbies. Seems to me life will not be worth living in the future….unless you know of anything else….it really is downhill all the way for me.
Margaret
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Claire Mansfield

by Dr Claire Mansfield on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Problems with fecal / flatulence incontinence

Hi Margaret, I really recommend that you speak to your GP about your ongoing difficulties. They might encourage you to try biofeedback therapy again, but for a longer time, to give you a chance to retrain your body, or there may be other types of treatment to try, or lifestyle changes you could make. It sounds as if you feel very hopeless about your difficulties and your GP may be able to help you to access a talking therapy so that you can think about ways of managing what you are going through so that your life feels more fulfilling. I think it is important to take action now if you can see that things could deteriorate further for you. Good luck.
Dr Claire Mansfield
Chartered Counselling Psychologist - CPsychol, PsychD, MA, BSc

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sfield.php

2 posts