Diagnosed with IBS

If you have any bowel or IBS questions that don't fit into the topics below please post them to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
sam18261

by sam18261 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Diagnosed with IBS

My doctor has just recently diagnosed that I have IBS, due to severe cramps, bloating & nausea.
I've also got Anorexia & have had it now for over 10 years, he also prescribed me Fybogel as I was getting very constipated, due to the lack of fibre in my diet, not wanting to eat much at all.
When you get IBS, is it with you for life or can you recover from it?

Dr Jamal Hayat

by Dr Jamal Hayat on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: Diagnosed with IBS

Dear Sam
There are a few tests which you doctor may have done to be sure of your diagnosis such as excluding coeliac disease. You should be able to see your doctor and/or a dietician to help manage your symptoms with dietary and lifestyle changes plus medical therapy if needed.,
Previous studies have shown that only a small proportion of patients with IBS develop worsening symptoms over time. Other patients will have symptoms subside over time or come and go intermittently. However this is dependant on how it is treated and how you are able to manage your symptoms. So perhaps best to not think have you got it for life but how best to not let it affect your life.

Best Wishes
Dr Jamal Hayat
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _hayat.php

2 posts