Medication Causing Pain and Constipation

If you have any bowel or IBS questions that don't fit into the topics below please post them to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Medication Causing Pain and Constipation

I am taking prescribed medication for chronic pain. Obviously it doesn't do my system any favours and I hope to reduce my meds in the future. I find that the codeine in particular constipates me so much that I get pain in the lower right side of my abdomen. It also causes me to strain and push which causes me more pain. I include prunes in my diet which does give me relief, I don't want to use a laxative simply because I'm on enough meds as it is and want to try something natural. Any suggestions? Also my surgery is useless and I feel the GPs don't care, I haven't had my blood pressure checked in almost a year but they're still happy to fill my repeats for me. Sorry it just adds to the pile of steaming frustration!
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Medication Causing Pain and Constipation

Hi,

You don't mention what type of chronic pain you have, but I know from my own experience and from the latest research, that pain killers aren't always effective - especially in the long-term. And, as you've found from your own experience, they can cause undesirable side effects. - such as constipation. For these reasons it's a good idea to gradually reduce them and find alternative ways of dealing with pain. Effective non-drug pain relievers include exercise, massage, heat pads and products that contain peppermint oil - which is a very effective pain reliever.

Walking is a light aerobic exercise that provides a lot of healing benefits. It keeps your muscles healthy, boosts stamina and energy, and reduces stiffness and pain. Strength training, gentle stretches, yoga and tai chi are also great for improving muscle strength and reducing pain. Even everyday activities such as housework and gardening can help relieve pain, providing you don't overdo it. You could also speak to your GP about trying some physiotherapy.

In the meantime, to beat constipation you need to eat lots of foods containing fibre and drink plenty of fluids. You've made a good start by eating prunes. You can also boost your fibre intake by eating wholemeal bread, whole wheat cereals such as weetabix, brown rice and pasta, oats, fruit and vegetables, peas and beans, nuts and seeds.

I hope this helps you find relief from your chronic pain and constipation.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts