constipation

If you have questions about constipation or diarrhoea please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
lisacaroline7

by lisacaroline7 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:53 am

constipation

I eat a high fibre diet, drink plenty of fluids and eat lots of fruit and veg but yet I still struggle with constipation, I never used to but since undergoing a craniotomy 4 years ago and now being on 18 different meds or so a day then I really struggle.... is there anything else I can do to ease things?

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: constipation

Hi Lisa Caroline,

It seems you've already worked out that your medications are probably causing your constipation. You are also doing the right things diet-wise by eating high-fibre foods and drinking plenty of fluids.

Physical activity is also important for maintaining regular bowel movements. I wonder if your health problems make it difficult for you to exercise? If so, perhaps you could seek advice from your GP, or ask for a referral to a physiotherapist, who should be able to devise a gentle exercise plan for you.

Also, I wonder if you have regular (at least annual) medication reviews with your pharmacist? It may be that you no longer need to be on as many medications, or that there are alternatives that are less likely to cause constipation.

I hope this helps.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts