Bowel incontinence

Any questions you have on bowel incontinence can be put to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Shazza49

by Shazza49 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Bowel incontinence

I have a history of frequency since 1989 when hospitalized for 6 weeks after contracting botulism from cooked turkey. This last year I have experienced more urgency yet appear not to expel properly, resulting in watery discharge, with soreness and staining. I was prescribed fibrogel without success. Any suggestions as to alternative treatment???

Dr Christopher Black

by Dr Christopher Black on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Re: Bowel incontinence

Hi Shazza49,

I suspect fybogel was tried to see whether adding bulk to your stools would help, but it doesn't sound like it has. It's difficult to advise on the right treatment option as this will depend on the underlying cause.

Sometimes people can become constipated, and paradoxically get looser stools. This is often referred to as overflow diarrhoea. It sounds like this might be part of the problem, as you describe feeling like you can't empty your bowel properly? In this situation, laxative treatments could be helpful.

An alternative possibility is that there may be a weakness of the anal sphincters or pelvic floor muscles contributing to the looseness and urgency.

I would strongly advise you to go back to discuss it with your GP again. Your symptoms are worse and the treatment you have tried has not given any benefit. It sounds like your bowel habit was fairly stable for many years, but has changed significantly in the past year. Further investigation of the bowel may therefore be necessary.

Kind regards,
Dr Christopher Black
Clinical Research Fellow in Gastroenterology, MBBS MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _black.php

2 posts