Polyps and diverticula disease

Post your questions here on bowel cancer here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
sandraharvey

by sandraharvey on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:47 am

Polyps and diverticula disease

I was picked up on the bowel screening programme 2 years ago, and they found 3 large tubular adenoma polyps that we’re removed and the areas were tattooed. They told me that I have now been put on a surveillance programme but I understand that this stops at 74. I am concerned as I have a family history of bowel cancer and at the moment I am experiencing pain in the left lower abdomen. I am guessing this is my diverticula that may be hurting, but I would like to know how fast these tubular adenomas can grow, and who will follow me up after the age of 74. I am 72 this year.

Dr Jamal Hayat

by Dr Jamal Hayat on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 am

Re: Polyps and diverticula disease

Dear Sandra,
You can still have colonoscopies after the age of 75 - this just needs to be weighed up against the risks of having the procedure - unfortunately these do increase with increasing age and just need to be balanced against the risk of having them. If you had three large polyps removed - you should be due for a repeat procedure in 3 years from the initial colonoscopy,although it takes several years for an adenoma to turn in to a cancer. However if there are concerns - eg altered bowel habit, rectal bleeding then you could bring this forward. It would probably best too see your GP with regards to the pain you have been having to decide on whether you need to investigate this further.
BW
Dr Jamal Hayat
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _hayat.php

2 posts