anal fissures

Ask our experts any questions you may have about haemorrhoids (piles) and anal fissures here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
kjmpde1980

by kjmpde1980 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:03 pm

anal fissures

if a person has anal fissures is there a way of treating them and also preventing them in the future? I have a high fibre diet (veggie) so i know that is not the problem. i personally feel that my anus is too small for the large stools so is there a way of stretching it without an operation ?

Dr Christopher Black

by Dr Christopher Black on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Re: anal fissures

Hi kjmpde1980,

There are certainly ways of treating and trying to prevent anal fissures.

One important step is to avoid constipation and straining. Sometimes laxatives, such as movicol, are used to soften the stools making them easier to pass and reducing the need to strain. This can help prevent anal fissures, but also can help them to heal.

Fibre is very important for gut health. But it is possible that eating too much fibre, particularly insoluble fibre (fibre which doesn't also bring water with it) like bran, in your diet might make your stools too bulky, and this could exacerbate the problem. It is possible that this is why you have large stools.

Sometimes the anal sphincters can be narrowed (also called anal stenosis) but this usually results from previous surgery to that area, or as a consequence of inflammation there e.g. Crohn's disease. It doesn't sound like this is the case for you, and can be assessed further if someone has examined you? Unless there is an anal stenosis, there is no role for stretching the anus.

Other treatments for fissures including creams to help improve the blood flow around the fissure to help it heal, and surgery in some cases.

If you haven't discussed the problem with your GP I would suggest you do so in the first instance.

Kind regards,
Dr Christopher Black
Clinical Research Fellow in Gastroenterology, MBBS MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _black.php

2 posts