Crohn’s disease & IBS

Ask our experts your questions to do with IBS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Pixel Chick

by Pixel Chick on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Crohn’s disease & IBS

I’ve a thyroid disorder and always suffered with IBS as a result but I’ve always thought there was more to it than IBS and now my dad has just been diagnosed with crohns and when I read about it a lot of symptoms i get are there, its the same with IBS. But it seems to happen all in the lower stomach, i have 4 ulcers there too. How can I tell if its crohns or not. The GP is always super busy and it takes 18 weeks at least to get a hospital referral. I’m always have stomach and bowl problems. Can i get some advice please.

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Re: Crohn’s disease & IBS

Hi,

You don't state what your specific symptoms are, but Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis both share similar symptoms - diarrhoea, stomach aches and cramps, blood in your poo, fatigue, and unexplained weight loss. If you have one or more of these symptoms you really need to see your GP. If they share your concerns they may take a stool sample to find out if there's any blood in it.

They may also refer you for other tests, such as a colonoscopy, to check for signs of inflammation in the bowel, which could signal either of these, or other conditions. I know you state that your GP is always busy, but self-diagnosis is never a good thing, so I'd strongly advise you to make an appointment to see your GP asap. The sooner you see them the sooner you'll get to get the correct diagnosis and treatment.

I wish you well for the future.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts