10 year old with constipation issues since 18months old

If you are a parent or carer of a child or teenager with continence problems and have a question for our experts, please post this here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
skitty70

by skitty70 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:10 pm

10 year old with constipation issues since 18months old

My son was first put on Movicol at age of 2 after being tested for Coeliac and coming back negative. He’s now 10 and still on it, with the same problems of not going to toilet regularly and leaking into underpants and smelling and me having to clean said pants. I’m basically at my wits end. We should have had an appointment (at my request) with continence nurse at local hospital on Tues, but this was rearranged with out my knowledge and I now have to wait for 8th May. I just don’t know what to do anymore. His diet is very poor - beige foods mainly with portion of orange juice a day and one sprig of broccoli once or twice a week. Please help. I’ve found myself shouting at him a couple of times and I really don’t want to as I know it’s not entirely his fault.

Dr Claire Mansfield

by Dr Claire Mansfield on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: 10 year old with constipation issues since 18months old

Hi, it sounds like this has been an incredibly stressful difficulty so it is understandable that you feel at your wit's end. I am sure it was very frustrating to have the appointment moved when it might have felt as if you were finally going to get somewhere with things. Is there somebody that you could talk to, to help you manage your stress and frustration, while you wait for the appointment in May? It's really important that this doesn't become something that your son feels anxious, or stressed about, as it may exacerbate his difficulties and make it more unlikely that he will feel able to go to the toilet, or make changes to his diet. Good luck.
Dr Claire Mansfield
Chartered Counselling Psychologist - CPsychol, PsychD, MA, BSc

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sfield.php

2 posts