Mental health

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Pearl1957

by Pearl1957 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:56 am

Mental health

I have for 45 yrs felt the impact of my skin condition starting with severe acne then rosacea .This has had a massive impact on my life as i have low self esteem together with anxiety and feel i have not achieved my potential. The patient support programme has not helped. Any dermatologist i have seen has never taken this into consideration just prescribing inappropriate creams. I have had to struggle on my own to find skin care products and make up that provides some relief.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 am

Re: Mental health

I am so sorry to hear about your skin and mental troubles! Skin problems and especially rosacea can really affect quality of life, I am afraid. I saw this so many times in my patients.

In rosacea skin can be really irritable and sore and intolerant of any topicals. Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser are believed to be the best for acne and rosacea prone skin. For red face/flushing rosacea the best treatment is Mirvaso gel, for inflammatory/spots rosacea -a combination of soolantra cream and oral antibiotics. Sun protection is important.

Feeling low and mental issues are extremely common in acne and rosacea, I am afraid. Phycological help is very difficult to obtain on NHS due to funding problems unfortunately. Ideally you need to see somebody like Dr Anthony Bewley, consultant phychodermatologist in London. He sees patients both on NHS and privately.

I hope this is helpful.

With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
Harley Street, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts