Hay fever

Post your questions about histamine here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
michellek

by michellek on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Hay fever

Hi, I've very bad hay fever, but it tends to happen all year round. I really don't understand why do I get hayfever in the winter as there shouldn't be as much pollen etc. I'm taking anti histamine, which makes everything feels much better, but I just dislike taking anti histamine almost everyday. May I know why my allergy is so bad even in the winter and is there any negative effect on health for taking anti histamine everyday? Thank you.

Dr Janice Joneja

by Dr Janice Joneja on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Hay fever

The symptoms of hay fever (in clinical terms, rhino-conjunctivitis), include a stuffy, runny nose, itchy, reddened eyes, itchy ears, and other symptoms in the upper respiratory tract, which are caused by an allergic reaction to inhaled (breathed-in) allergens in the air. We call the condition "hay fever" because many of the allergens are from plants such as grasses, trees, weeds and other types of pollens. However, people can be allergic to a large number of other air-borne allergens, such as animal dander, dust and dust mites, mold and fungal spores, and so on. If you have year-round hay fever it would suggest that you are allergic to one or more of the latter. It is very common for people in damp climates to have allergic reactions year-round to mold in their homes and work places. A large number of house plants in a home can be a source of mold in the damp soil, which often goes undetected. Dust and dust mite allergy can be a constant problem. And of course if you have a cat, dog, bird or other pet in the home, you may be reacting to that. It is important for you to consult a doctor who will help in identifying exactly which air-borne allergens are problems for you. You can then take steps to avoid, or reduce your exposure to these. Avoidance is really the only sure way to reduce your allergies. Obviously, some of these allergens are very difficult to avoid completely, so the judicious use of antihistamines when the symptoms are really overwhelming is the way to go. Some clinicians offer desensitization therapies, such as injected allergens, to induce tolerance to your allergens. This is effective in some cases. Do speak to your doctors about that possibility if your symptoms are really debilitating.
Dr Janice Joneja
Medical microbiologist / immunologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... tamine.php

2 posts