Is histamine the problem?

Post your questions about histamine here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Pearl1957

by Pearl1957 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Is histamine the problem?

How can i tell in the pollen season if it is pollen or histamine causing my eczema to flare or when my eyes or nose are running?

Dr Janice Joneja

by Dr Janice Joneja on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Is histamine the problem?

In an allergic reaction the allergen (in the case of hay fever, usually a pollen or other air-borne plant component) activates mast cells. Mast cells are white blood cells in tissues that produce and store bioactive chemicals called inflammatory mediators within tiny granules. When allergens attach to antibodies called IgE on the surface of the mast cell it releases the granules, which in turn release the inflammatory mediators inside. These mediators include histamine and other powerful reagents which are responsible for the symptoms of allergy. So in any allergic reaction, significant quantities of histamine are released. During the season when the pollen to which you are allergic is in the air, large quantities of histamine are released in your body. In addition to the symptoms of allergy, such as runny nose and itchy, watery eyes (known medically as rhinoconjunctivitis), any inflammatory condition, such as eczema, will be made considerably worse by this increase in the amount of histamine. So, allergy and excess histamine in this situation is one and the same thing. Anything that you can do to decrease your "whole body level" of histamine will help the severity of your symptoms, but of course won't relieve them entirely. I would recommend a trial on a histamine-restricted diet during your pollen season to see if it helps.
Dr Janice Joneja
Medical microbiologist / immunologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... tamine.php

2 posts