Natural treatments

Post your questions about histamine here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Lara J C

by Lara J C on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Natural treatments

What natural treatments, e.g. Supplements, help with food allergy symptoms?

Dr Janice Joneja

by Dr Janice Joneja on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:41 pm

Re: Natural treatments

There are numerous claims that a variety of diverse supplements help with food allergies. And there are many different types of food allergies and intolerances that the supplements are designed to manage. A search on the internet will yield a bewildering array of endorsements and promotions for one or another. Some have evidence-based research to support their efficacy; many do not. Products and reagents range from probiotics, to omega-3 and omega-6 oils, vitamins, minerals, animal and plant extracts, and various organic and inorganic formulations. I sympathise with your question, but it is far too broad a topic for me to provide an answer in this forum. Here we are discussing histamine and histamine sensitivity, so I will confine my answer to that.

Antioxidants such as quercetin and vitamins such as vitamin C have been suggested to be effective in reducing histamine in the inflammatory response that causes the symptoms of allergy. However, there is insufficient good evidence-based research to support the use of these supplements generally.

In my practice I have found that there is a formulation that has worked very well for many of my histamine-sensitive patients, which I am happy to share with you here. It is a simple recipe of alkaline salts comprising two parts of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with one part of potassium bicarbonate, made as follows:

Mix 2 tablespoons sodium bicarbonate and 1 tablespoon potassium bicarbonate in a small jar
Take 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture in 1/2 cup of warm water

Repeat the formulation after 20 minutes if symptoms have not subsided.
These are natural compounds and quite harmless in the small quantities recommended.
Dr Janice Joneja
Medical microbiologist / immunologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... tamine.php

2 posts