contact and other allergies, health conditions and IBSC

Post your questions about histamine here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Catjemi1

by Catjemi1 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:17 pm

contact and other allergies, health conditions and IBSC

Hi

I have five questions and thank you so much for doing this.

MY BACKGROUND/CURRENT MEDICAL SITUATION: I have contact dermatitis and have had extensive patch testing which has helped identify some of the things I’m allergic to – citral, MI, fragrance mixes, cobalt chloride, nickel etc.
I have year round rhinitis, asthma , hay fever with a severe timothy grass allergy, fur and dander allergies to different animals at varying degrees and aspergillus allergy which is quite significant. I can have up to 4 antihistamines per day and use nasonex daily having tried many different nasal sprays and symbicort on the smart programme along with a saline nebuliser and zafirleukast morning and evening.

I also have sjogrens syndrome, osteoporosis I believe exacerbated by years of inhalers and PPIS which I no longer take, bronchiectasis which I take three anti biotics a week for prophylactically, a slipped disc and even with all of the that, the most debilitating things is IBSc which my Professor says should be renamed dysfunctional bowel I think?! and I agree. – pain, bloating, cramps, loss of appetite, vomiting, horrendously painful dyspepsia, and occasional severe heart burn and constant nausea - I’m low weight with a BMI of around 17.1. I suffer from hypokalaemia and take sando k every day which is horrible and have had a short synacthen test for Addison’s but they were barking up the wrong tree, my endogenous cortisol is exceptionally high after testing and I don’t have Cushing’s either. My aldosterone levels are very high. I have a history of anaemia but this is more settled recently with supplementation I refuse to take prescribed iron as it’s so harsh on the stomach).f

I had a diseased gallbladder removed in 2014 but I feel my IBS is worse even since then. Unsurprisingly I do not get very much sleep and barely ever feel rested. I take supplements of iron in water form, b vitamins, omegas, multi vit, rhodiola for stress, zinc, vitamin d with vitamin k. Magnesium 5htp and sando k, zafirleukast, inhalers, antihistamines, nasal spray and zaditen eye drops, thealoz duo eye drops for dry eyes, the contraceptive pill, nebuliser with saline, azithromycin three days a week and painkillers - codeine with paracetamol at night only.

I have had all manner of tests and have gastritis which I’m told doesn’t cause symptoms but I believe it does. My gastro professor says unless I stop antibiotics my stomach will never ease but:

1. I wonder with my numerous allergies and auto immune related condition, medication I take and high stress levels along with blood tests showing inflammation if my stomach problems could be exacerbated by allergies/histamine causing inflammation?
2. if I could suffer from food intolerances/sensitivities as I react so badly and quickly sometimes when I eat? I have had a coeliac blood test and it showed as ‘unlikely to have’.
3. I have read I’m sure that vitamin D is said to potentially be able to help with IBS – can it?
4. I’m sure I can’t be fully absorbing nutrients from the little food I eat which isn’t always very healthy in fruit and veg as I’ve been trying low fodmap and low fibre – can this have an impact?
5. Are there any specific histamine causing foods to really try and avoid?

Thank you.
talkhealth IBS, Asthma & Allergies Ambassador

Dr Janice Joneja

by Dr Janice Joneja on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:21 am

Re: contact and other allergies, health conditions and IBSC

I am sorry that you are dealing with so many different and difficult health problems, but regretfully, I am unable to answer the questions regarding your specific medical conditions in a forum such as this. The only suggestion I can make would be - follow my histamine-restricted diet closely for one or two weeks to see if this improves your symptoms. If you do find relief on this regimen it would indicate that histamine is playing a role in your symptoms. If this is the case I would strongly recommend that you avoid the histamine-associated foods on a long-term basis. A registered dietitian would greatly assist in helping you to select foods to avoid, and suggesting alternatives that would provide you with complete balanced nutrition while eliminating those likely to cause a problem for you.
Dr Janice Joneja
Medical microbiologist / immunologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... tamine.php

2 posts