Managing HS

Post your questions about hidradenitis suppurativa here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
mightymouse

by mightymouse on Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 am

Managing HS

Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice about when to seek medical advice for HS-related issues.

I've suffered from boils and abscesses for about a decade, but only had HS diagnosed earlier this year when I went to the doctor about – and subsequently had excision surgery on – an infected abscess. Other than that, I have never been to the GP about this issue.

While I don't want to trouble the doctor every time I get a new outbreak, I'm keen to avoid having to go through surgery again. Should I inform my GP when the HS flares up so it's on my medical record or continue to manage it myself as best as possible?

Thank you!

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Re: Managing HS

Thank you for your question.

The history you give would be suggestive of HS however it seems that you have not seen a dermatologist. HS can be a debilitating condition and the effect it has on health and social life will of course vary from person to person. If you are getting regular new and painful lesions then in my opnion your condition is not under control. Initial treatment includes regular topical treatment and oral antibiotics. These can be initiated in primary care. In my experience there is often a significant delay in patients being referred on to dermatologists. While it is admirable that you do not want to trouble your GP with every new lesion, I would suggest that you are put on the appropriate treatment earlier rather than waiting for a flare. Please see if your GP would be willing to refer you on to a dermatologist where we have more potent treaments.
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts