Urinary infections

Post your questions about urinary tract infections (UTI's) here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
sandraharvey

by sandraharvey on Wed May 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Urinary infections

I have to catheterise 4 times a day, and also leak, I have been told to restrict my fluids to 6 drinks a day and I am finding this difficult as I notice my urine gets very dark and cloudy. I feel as although I have urine infections at time so I have been buying cystitis relief sachets - 3 sachets a day for 2 days - so I don’t have to bother my GP. Is it Ok to take these sachets for these current infections? I had an autologous sling in December, it has given me relief for the stress incontinence, but now I am constantly feeling the urge to urinate. I s there anything else that can be done?

Mr Adrian Joyce

by Mr Adrian Joyce on Thu May 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Re: Urinary infections

Thank you for your question, the number of times you catheterise should be a reflection of your fluid intake and the amount of urine in the bladder. Normal bladder capacity is 400 - 600ml, so you should aim to catheterise when you have around 400+mI in the bladder. I assume that you use a size 12 or 14 catheter and that you have a good aseptic technique. It is important to maintain a good fluid intake to minimise the risk of any potential issues such as kidney function. Y

You state that you feel as although I have urine infections at time but has this been checked by the GP with a urine sample, if you really are experiencing recurrent/persistent infections then a single daily dose of a prophylactic antibiotic may be helpful. Using cystitis relief sachets - 3 sachets a day for 2 days - helps reduce the severity of symptoms by altering the acidity of urine but doesn't really treat the infection and this is why you may be prone to recurrent /persistent symptoms.

I note that you had an autologous sling in December, which has relieved the stress incontinence, but now you have a constant feeling of the urge to urinate and this is not an uncommon situation after a stress incontinence procedure. I really think that you would be best served by reviewing the current situation with a Urogynaecologist or a urologist with an interest in female bladder and pelvic floor disorders as I think much of your problems are interlinked and need careful evaluation in order to provide you with a better overall plan of management.
Adrian Joyce
Mr Adrian Joyce
Consultant Urologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _joyce.php

2 posts