urgency , 60 year old female no infection.

If you have questions about cystitis & UTI's please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
linz1us3

by linz1us3 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:18 am

urgency , 60 year old female no infection.

In the last few weeks , Ive developed uti symptoms , I had a urine test and showed leukocytes in urine..the doctor prescribed nitrofurantoin. Symptoms still apparent. Urgency , urethra at the point of exit feels so tender , and looks inflammed inside urethra , so when sitting feel extreme discomfort and tenderness. No leukocytes showing in subsequent urine test.The only change of colour on the strip is S.G.What do I do now , how can I explain to the doctor and how can I get the inflammation down??There has been slight pain in pelvic region , no discharges...

Mr Sachin Malde

by Mr Sachin Malde on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Re: urgency , 60 year old female no infection.

Hi

The symptoms you describe are not uncommon, and may be the after-effect of a previous infection causing the urethra to be inflamed and the nerves in that area to be more sensitive, leading to the feeling of pain. Drinking plenty of water and emptying your bladder may help, as will simple anti-inflammatory (such as ibuprofen) for a short time. Have you noticed the strength of your urinary stream has become slower or weaker? If things don't improve it may be that you require a telescopic inspection of your bladder (cystoscopy) to look inside your urethra and bladder to make sure there is no other reason for your symptoms. I hope this helps.
Mr Sachin Malde
Consultant Urological Surgeon - BSc(Hons) MBBS MSc(Urol), FRCS(Urol)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _malde.php

2 posts