Bedwetting

Ask our experts any questions you may have about bedwetting here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Smileyriley

by Smileyriley on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Bedwetting

Hi my daughter is 7 nearly 8 years old, she has been dry through the day since she was 2. I've been trying for the last 4 years to get her out of the bedtime pull ups.I think one of the problems is she is a deep sleeper. It is now getting to a stage where she has to miss out on sleepovers at friends, brownies and school. I have contacted the school nurse and GP. Our GP referred her to the hospital after a few months of us trying various things, such as lifting, limiting her drinks before bed, setting alarms, measuring her urine and tablets . The hospital have been in contact to say they have cancelled my daughters appointment in August and have referred her back to the GP! We've tried all what we have been advised to do and don't seem to be getting anywhere. Please, please, please help?

ERIC

by ERIC on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 am

Re: Bedwetting

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear your daughter is struggling with night time accidents and missing out on sleepovers because of it. Bedwetting in children of her age is very common – around 15% of 7 year old are still wet at night. However, you’re right to look for ways to help her now as research shows the earlier you intervene the better chance she has of becoming dry at night sooner.

We have a downloadable guide on the ERIC website which has lots of info on the causes happens and treatment options: https://www.eric.org.uk/Handlers/Downlo ... f02ab1fd26

It's important to try and work out why the wetting is happening so that the right treatment can begin. It would be worth asking whether your daughter can be assessed by the school nurse as they may run a bedwetting clinic in your area which she could be referred too?

At clinic they should begin by ruling out any underlying causes such as constipation and then look at the things like her daily fluid intake first which you can start now at home before discussing other treatments such as medication or a bedwetting alarm. In 2010 NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) brought out guidelines on bedwetting recommending that children be seen by a health professional from the age of 5 years (it used to be 7 years) http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG111. So, if there isn't a bedwetting clinic available we would suggest going back to your GP.

In the meantime, it’s really important she’s drinking well throughout the day (6-8 glasses of water based and stops drinking at least an hour before bedtime. Reward her for things like drinking well and helping to change the bed as this is more achievable than a reward for a dry bed which is outside of her control.

Finally you are very welcome to call our helpline to speak to one of our continence advisors for more information and support. We're pone Monday to Thursday 10am - 2pm 0845 370 8008.
I hope that's helpful,

Alina@ERIC

2 posts