Treatments

Post your questions about vitiligo here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 am

Treatments

Are there any up and coming vitiligo treatments that will help my skin return to it's original colour?
Thank you, Maisie
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Dev Shah

by Dr Dev Shah on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm

Re: Treatments

Vitiligo is a condition with lots of myths and to take football analogy a ‘game of two halves’.
If your husband has very widespread vitiligo then you have to decide whether it is still spreading, if so, you must think about how to stop the spread first.
Stopping the spread:
Regular use of potent topical steroids and immunodulators like tacrolimus.
Then consider light treatment and if no better then possible oral steroids.
Psychological therapy and possibly antioxidants.

Repigmentation:
Once the disease the stopped spreading then we need to think about re-pigmentation.
This involves similar treatments as above.
However if the disease has spread so far i.e. well over 50% then you may want to consider either cosmetic camouflage or even vitiligo surgery to the most cosmetic areas.

NEW TREATMENTS

JAK kinase inhibitors are showing some promise for vitiligo patients in very early trails in the USA. However at best the results shows a 50% success rate. This is not great and similar to previous treatments. So at present there are now medications that are very expensive but many more trials are required before we know whether the treatment will work. I would estimate they would not be available for at least 5 years.
Dr Dev Shah
Consultant Dermatologist
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... v_shah.php

2 posts